Health anxiety will not go away

Posted , 7 users are following.

Feeling nauseous and worried all the time. Now getting depressed about it but can not get rid of this health anxiety...

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have always been anxious about health and death. Since last summer I have had a fixation relating to my health and I can't get it out of my head. I have seen the doc on a number of occasions, 3 different docs. Had blood tests and ultrasound and all come back fine.

Basically I occasionally feel nauseous and have a slight tummy twinge. Doc thinks it's all linked to stress but my health anxiety will not let me believe this.

I have counselling and a supportive network around me but just can't get through it this time. Really not sure what to do.

• Posted

I'm sorry you suffer from health anxiety. It can be really overwhelming until you realise it's your mind playing tricks at you. I know exactly how you feel! Hang in there,stay patient! It's a very good thing that you have a supportive network and counselling. Hopefully we'll be able to manage it someday. I used to be nauseous everyday for a.month and then again. Worst feeling. Nothing's wrong with you, even your docs said that. Best of luck!!

• Posted

Kerry I know what you are going thru I have been going thru this for over a year now. I have gone to so many dr's a therapist psychiatrist also. I still feel the same the therapist gives me advice on how to change my thoughts and I try really hard but I always go back I'm a thinker and causes anxiety I get anxious all the time a take a low dose of Ativan to keep me calm. I don't take anti depression meds since they have bad side effects. I have good days and bad days can't seem to get over this hump. It not only effects me it's effects my family. I work but there are days that I go i and have to come home early.

Take it day by day that's all I can tell you. Your not alone with this I know it's a horrible feeling but it's not dangerous at all.

• Posted

Thanks for you words Needhelp it's good to know I'm not alone in this. Trying so hard to push the thoughts away but they are so strong they even invade my dreams.

I've started to wonder about acupuncture or hypnotherapy but deep down I feel this is a battle I need to fight by reprogramming how I think. Not sure I will be able to do this because I've thought this way since I can remember on and off through my life about different things.

The problem with this time round is the nausea and being off food, I am convincing myself they are symptoms of something sinister and then this worry causes more nausea and sickly feelings - it's like a cycle I can not break. I'm now worried I am starting to have issues with eating and being scared of eating.

Like you I really hope for positive progression soon!!!

• Posted

You can start psychotherapy which will help you reprogram the way you think. It's really hard but you have to try!

I can so relate to this. I was scared to eat! I wouldn't eat anywhere else besides home cause it would make me dead anxious and eating would seem like a huge challenge. Figured it went away when I stopped fighting it. When I was acting like a robot trying and trying to eat and accepting my nausea. It went away. It came back again and I did the same. I'm on my relapse period now and I wake up nauseous, thankfully it goes away on the rest of the day. Managed to control it a bit! Do a lot of research, see what suits you! There's nothing wrong with you, you've got tested! Only the anxiety is wrong!

• Posted

Thanks for your words Pedro

I also work and sometimes I just have to leave and go home, not often thankfully but most days I would quite like to but I don't!

Thankfully my family are supportive but I feel such a burden sometimes and want to have fun and live life with them not just feel down all the time.

Fingers crossed we will get over this hump!

• Posted

Have you recently started the pill? That effects anxiety its a hormone,otherwise be patient this takes so much oatient and time to manage. Its an awful mal function to deal with. Becoming very very common as well at least in the usa and uk. Its one of five  in usa and one of four in the uk. Its global otherwise but I think many hide it until they cant. Be very patient. Dbt is better then cbt it works with emotions and anxiety is very emotionally based.(fear is an emotion) they use to use dbt on bipolar but they should be using it in everyone with anxiety. Panic attacks are traumatizing. Look up ways to increase endorphins..exercise, eatung healthy, no caffiene, laughter..etc..
    • Posted

Recently came off the pill but my anxiety started before this...well this phase of anxiety anyway. I started getting really anxious again about September and decided to come off pill at the end of that month just because I was planning on doing that anyway, maybe this is why I am struggling to shift this phase of anxiety this time who knows...

Not sure what dbt is? Will have to look it up. Having cbt at the moment but not sure it's working, having said that only had 3 sessions and it can take time.

Thanks Lisa

• Posted

Sorry to here your going through this it's rough I deal with my health anxiety everyday first and foremost dwell on what your Drs have told you if all your tests came back good then restasured your OK are you active do you have any hobbies the key thing here is to pre occupy ur mind with activities don't sit and watch TV alone rember the saying idle hands are the devil's playground go for a walk call a friend all these things and more will keep ur mind off of things and put your simptions at easebest of luck to you

• Posted

Thanks Adrian

I try to keep my mind active with things. Work, going on walks, visiting people it's just some days it seems all consuming and even if I am doing something active I start to daydream and over think and all my worries come back. Some days all I want to do is stay in bed, I don't but I feel like I'm forcing my way through the day sometimes.

It's really helpful hearing these comments, knowing others are going through it and supportive suggestions with how to cope.

Think I need to reprogram the way I think but know that is going to be tough!

• Posted

Positivitve thinking the 1st thing you do when you open ur eyes best the bad thoughts think of what you want to accomplish for the day just take baby steps I do a lot of daydreaming as well sometimes it's hard but it only lasts a few moments but for the most part I fill my day w work and be positive when I here people talking abought death and cancer I try to face it head on and inguage in conversation trying not to tie there event in to my own story it helps have a good rest of ur day

• Posted

I have this same exact problem. I was feeling better, but then I had to start college again today. Now it's back. I understand completely how terrible it is! Not wanting to eat when hungry because of how sick it feels! sad I've been reading a lot of books, and 10 Best Anxiety Busters really helped me. Also the app Stop, Think, and Breathe really made me calm down. When I keep track of my breathing, I don't feel so sick anymore. It's a struggle, but we can get over this! We can't give up and let it control our lives. Anxiety will not kill us, and we can get through this. It will be hard, but it's very very possible! smile Hang in there!!

• Posted

Thanks blyther needing those positive words today.

On Tuesday I was thinking to myself that I looked a bit pale but just tried to ignore it, then someone later that day asked if I was okay because I looked pale so then I started to panic...I got over it because I thought maybe it was because I was cold or a bit anxious about being back working after Christmas break but THEN someone else said they thought I looked pale too!!! Now today I don't think I look pale anymore but I it's just set off my anxiety again sad

• Posted

Oh my goodness! I get told that all the time! People are always saying things like "Your lips look blue." Haha. Really helpful everyone. :P Try to breathe and do something fun or lose yourself in your work! Sometimes if I have anxious thoughts I try to replace them with something ridiculous like counting backwards or narrating what I am doing. That way I feel like I'm present and not lost in my head. It's easier said than done, but try it! Practice and then you won't need to anymore. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.