Health anxiety - worst year of my life

Posted , 18 users are following.

I turned 51 5 months ago and have fallen apart - sudden bilateral pain in strange places like armpit and groin, tingling/crawling sensations, sore/pressured upper arms, larger and more sensitive breasts, cold hands, emotional wreck, teeth hurting, night sweats etc. if there are 50 symptoms for peri-menopause, I have 100 of them, almost every day a new symptom. I seem to be constantly going to the GP, have gone to emergency in hospital 6 times in the last few months, cervical and uterine polyp removed,  but now looking to see rheumatologist (but blood tests all normal). Supplements dont seem to help, I cant function at work, at home, just want to curl up and be left alone. Blood test showed slightly low progesterone but not keen to do HRT as still have regular period. At my wit's end - any suggestions and how long will this last?

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tzenara!

I really had/have that 'curl up and be left alone' feeling!  Running errands or engaging in basic bodily maintenance seems beyond me.  

I did start taking calcium and that has given me a little bit more of a psychological reserve.  I still have to push myself.  But I do not wake up thinking "can I take a sick day today?" as my first thought. 

My calcium level tested fine. But I think the supplements are adding something I needed. 

I too got that radiating pain from my breast down the inside of my arm. I get it more in the summer than winter. I started getting that pain in my 30's so it doesn't scare me like it would if it started now. Nothing ever shows up on my mammogram. (I'm 51 now.)  So it must just be part of my breast swelling.

My teeth hurt terribly now too. I am going to the dentist to get my retainer replaced with a night guard. I know I am clenching my jaw all night with the stress and that's giving me tooth pain during the day. 

One of the very wise women on this forum, GailAnnie, told me years ago that peri is like puberty in reverse.  So I am trying to extend to myself the kindness that my mother did not when I was a teen and changing rapidily and unpredictably. 

We are here for you! XXOO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.