health anxious - allergies or something worse? (mildly urgent)

Posted , 3 users are following.

This all started with a swollen lymph node on the side of my neck. It's small, almost like a bug bite, but related to where the tonsils would be. I went to a school nurse this morning as I am incapable of getting to a doctor's in my current financial state. With two very quick tests, she determined that most of my pains were from the slightly inflamed (but not infected i think) tonsils and the excessive mucas coating everything.

Allergy season just started, and I'm a huge hypochondriac. So naturally, when my aches and pains started, I googled and saw the worse. I'm 16 years old, and am also under INTENSE stress for my situation.

Symptoms include

Headache, nausea, (TMI) constant running to the bathroom, mild sore throat, occasional loss of voice but resolved by coughing/drinking water, difficulty breathing, tight chest, chills, blanking out, body aches, general fatigue, etc. The sore on my neck has not increased in size, rather, it went from a red to a pale white as is now.

Does this sound like a miX of SEVERE allergies/stress? Or is it the worst case like I thought? I'm so scared and I don't know what I can do....

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like a mixture of definite stress and anxiety and allergies. Like you said, it's allergy season.. Throat and nose issues, dizziness and tired feelings are all common. Running to the bathroom happens to me whenever I get anxious or stressed. Just breathe. Do you have any meds you could take? Maybe some mucinex even in case you have the starting to a cold or something? Are any of your friends sick with colds, strep, etc? If not it's safe to say it's allergies I think.
    • Posted

Just this morning a friend of mine got diagnosed with lymphoma, and now thats all i can think about. I know many lymphoma symptoms are similar to anxiety/infectioms--but how would i be able to reassure myself here?? None of my friends have been visibly sick, but my immune system is awful...
  • Posted

I would suggest gargling three to four times a day with a warm salt water gargle. One teaspoon of salt in a cup of water. Cleans the mucous from the throat and aids in killing infection.  Drink lots and lots of water thoughout the day. Hopefully it will not infect and clear up. If you like tea.tea with honey and lemon to help it all well. Hiney helps thin mucous nicely and also aids in killing bacteria and viruses. I hope you feel better soon. It doesnt sound like stress.
  • Posted

well done for seeing the school nurse - you are using your initiative.
    • Posted

I doubt it is a lymphoma that is unlikely to have two cases.  Just let your tonsils cure themselves and your infection go then you will be Ok again.
  • Posted

Sounds like my current situation. I have a swollen gland. Been back and fourth to the doctors with my cough, sore throat, ear ache. I am have an appointment at ENT 8th july but doctors dont seem too concerned.
    • Posted

Just this morning a friend of mine got diagnosed with lymphoma, and now thats all i can think about. I know many lymphoma symptoms are similar to anxiety/infectioms--but how would i be able to reassure myself here??
    • Posted

Go back to the docs tell them how you feel you need reassurance !!!! Waiting makes our anxiety worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.