Health consequences of a 10-day sugar binge (family history of diabetes)?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys. Before you say anything, I know this is disgusting. I know I have an eating disorder. I know I should seek treatment for it, and I plan to after this last 1.5 weeks. 10 days ago, I was just coming off of a 48hr fast. I have mild anorexia subtype b/p, and I had just gone through a bad cycle of b/ps, so I was trying to "fix it" by eating nothing. I weighed in at 99.8lbs that morning (I am 5'3, 21 years old). Then, I received a message that my fiancé was calling off our engagement, and that we had to break up. This came as a shock (and no, it was not because of the eating disorder), and I fell into the worst binge of my life. Over 10 days, I barely left my bed. I ate bulk bag-fulls, probably 3000-4000 calories worth of various chocolate-covered nuts, yogurt-covered raisins, and other chocolates. I know this is disgusting and I obviously dealt with the situation as poorly as a person can, really. Over that 10 days, I gained 18lbs. (13lbs after some of the water weight and bloating wore off..) Now if that weren't bad enough, making me feel like a complete stranger in my own body, and being completely repulsed by my behaviour, I'm terrified that this horrible week and a half will have serious long-lasting consequences.

Both type 1 and 2 diabetes run in my family, and I am scared out of my mind that I could maybe have developed type 2 or pre type 2 during this horrible time. I had my blood sugar tested about a month and a half ago and it was normal, but could I have given myself diabetes or any other serious long-term health problems because of this? I am having serious issues with craving to eat more sugar and chocolate still, but I am trying as hard as I can to not give into them. It's not always working, but I have cut back on it by at least 90%. I am really scared here. I will go to the doctor, but until then I just need some guidance or opinions on this.

I mean I obviously don't feel well at this point, I feel sick and vaguely nauseous, I am tired and have no energy, but I also did just spend 10 days mostly in bed or sitting still for hours on end. I haven't been peeing more, really, just when I drink a lot of fluids which I imagine is normal, especially considering how much water I must have been retaining. I am more thirsty now that I've started to come out of it, but I wasn't thirsty almost at all over the actual span of the binge... God I'm just really really scared. I thought I was just reacting poorly and that I was entitled to deal with it however helped but this is serious sh* t. 13lbs in 10 days????? BAGS upon BAGS of BULK BIN chocolate??? ANd my family history of diabetes??? I just wish I could go back and stop myself.

Please, don't put me down any further than I already am by telling me how disgusting this is. I know , I know I need professional help etc etc I want it and I plan on getting it. I just need advice on the physical health side of this. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I don't think a ten day sugar binge would be enough to cause any long term damage as long as it is a one off. If you were doing this regularly, over time it could have consequences though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.