Healthy diet & gallbladder problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am waiting to have a scan to see how bad my gallbladder problem is. 6 months ago I changed my diet drastically onto a fresh, lots of veg, lactose free, gluten free diet. Then I got gallbladder problems! I haven't ever really eaten a lot of fried, fatty foods either. Surprised at getting gallbladder problems.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim

you probably had gallstones before your diet but it showed up when you changed the way you eat. If you ah lost weight quite rapidly then that could be a reason.

/you are eating healthily so keep with it. Drink plenty of apple juice, not the concentrated kind and eat peppermint and spearmint as this is good for gallstones. Also artichokes.

• Posted

Thanks for this reply designer girl 12. Yup, I lost 7 kg quickly when I first started the new regime. I have tried a week of 5 apples a day, & a mixture of olive oil & lemon juice just before bed, but no success. Will see what the scan says when I have it done!
  • Posted

You are supposed to drink a glass of epsom salts too to flush out the gallstones but be careful , they can lodge in the bile duct and you could be in a terrible mess!

I can't do this because of Diverticulitis but I tried it once and failed as i could;t drink all the olive oil.

• Posted

As the gallbladder is concerned with processing fats, I see no connection with lactose or gluten. When I had cholecystitis I was told to cut fats out of my diet, nothing more. I then had my gallbladder removed. Unless you have been diagnosed with coeliac disease there is no point in omitting gluten from your diet and most people in Western Europe have no trouble digesting lactose unless they have been completely weaned off milk as babies, in which case they have lost the ability to secrete lactase.
  • Posted

I find that having gluten bread gives me bad guts so I stay off it. As you say there is not reason as it is not linked with gallstones but it does help sometimes.

Zoe how long ago did you have your gallbladder out and have you had any adverse reaction?

• Posted

Zoe, my giving up lactose and gluten was not related to the gall bladder thing. The gallbladder problem has arrived many months after having given up gluten and lactose. And I do eat both from time to time.
  • Posted

I am now at my wits end. I have had a echo scan and mri scan and I am in perfectly good health, which is wonderful! However, my stools change colour from sometimes being a very dark green, to pale and chalky colour, and the pain in my abdomen continues. Any suggestions anyone?
  • Posted

Green stool can be related to the foods we eat. It may indicate that food is travelling through the long intestine too quickly and therefore not allowing bile to break down completely. Vegetables such as spinach or lettuce, or green dyes (found in some food and drinks) may also turn your stool green.

Changes in stool colour are often harmless and reflect dietary influences. However, if you are experiencing any other symptom associated with it such nausea, weight loss, abdominal pain, it may warrant various underlying medical condition for which number of blood tests and endoscopies are required to confirm.

Luis

• Posted

Thanks Luis.  All the comments help.  It is so frustrating when things are not "normal".  I do not suffer from weight loss, so am using that as a guide.  I think that if there was anything really wrong weight loss would be a strong indicator! Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hey what ended up happening? I just found this post and I'm having the same problems, started eating healthier and now I'm 15lbs lighter and always sick and having awful symptoms left and right and your post seemed to relate most with me. I'm getting my gallbladder checked tomorrow.
    • Posted

Hi there.  I have had lots of scans and I am as healthy as can be!  So, not a gall bladder problem; not a hernia; so I have no idea what the problem might be.  Am taking a break from doctors and will resume trying to find the problem a bit later.  Good luck with your tests, and let me know what happens? 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up