Hear Whoosing Heartbeat Laying Down?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else sometimes experience hearing a whoosing sound in time with your heartbeat when laying down?

It only happens to me sometimes when I lay down at night to sleep.  I don’t remember it happening before my anxiety re-surfaced though, so I’m thinking it’s due to the anxiety and not anything super serious.

Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I used to feel short of breath when i laid down just practice your breathing once you start to feel better it will disappear x
    • Posted

I feel like my breathing itself is fine, but it probably speeds up when I hear that whoosing sound.
    • Posted

It’s definitely your anxiety. I get clicking in my ears when I get stressed. When I do my breathing it starts to dissipate.  What strength citalopram are you on?

Will😎

• Posted

Hi Will.  That’s what I’m hoping since I don’t remember hearing it before the anxiety came back.  I’m on 30mg - increased 8 weeks ago.  I was on 20mg for 5 years before the increase.
    • Posted

Start listening to music with headphones and go for a walk each day. 

It helps with the ears and anxiety. 

Will😎

• Posted

I do make an effort to try and walk every day - even if it’s just for 15-20 minutes.

That is a good idea - luckily I’ve been able to fall asleep without headphones, but just was wondering if this is a symptom of anxiety other people have experienced.

• Posted

I went to the ENT dr a couple of times and said I was fine. He mentioned to me to take a couple of days off to relax. Also I had an MRI that did show some mucus build up near my right ear but nothing to be done. I’ve addressed it with 3 separate dr and no antibiotics. 😬😬 then I went to my 2 nd neurologist and he put me in citalopram and it started to just clear up recently as I still get it when I stress. So I’m convinced it’s stress. I also go on Utube and listen to Rebekah Borucki and her meditation which is where I learned how to breathe and that helps me immensely. Think about this: any big changes to your daily routine. New job?

Retirement? Confortation at work? Children? Sorry, the list can go on. 

Someone said on this forum we get anxiety from anxiety and being anxious. Omg It makes perfect sense with that statement. It made me really think. 

Also these people here as yourself are awesome. I really have no one to talk with. I stumbled on this forum and it’s the best thing.

Will😎

• Posted

My left ear recently got clogged up, so I wonder if that might also play a factor..

Yes, I’m also thankful for this forum.  Lots of support from people going through the same thing smile

• Posted

The clogging of the ears are all side effects of celexa ...I had the same thing ...feels like when you have allergies and blow your nose..and your ears get clogged up.
    • Posted

Thanks Lois . I still have the teeth pain but much better. When I do a big yawn it feels like a nerve is pulling. It’s so odd. So I yawn smaller lol. Seriously I’m going on vacation this Wednesday and 

I just want to enjoy myself. 

• Posted

Yes celexa and all ssris bring on so many strange side effects...some will linger longer than others.. enjoy your vacation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.