Heart

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, 

Ive been having the same heart issues for almost a year now. I have difficulty explaining the exact feeling. Most of the sensations are in my throat, its like a tingle, electricity-like, shock like, tremble, flutter feeling in my throat that certainly feels like is caused by my heart. The scariest feeling is that I get a feeling of choking and not being able to take a breath normally, it feels like everything is sinking, it makes my whole body jump.. it feels like a few fast thuds in a row. I also have chest pain related to movement, pressure pain that get better with cracking the chest. I dont know if it could be related somehow.

I have some days that I dont feel it at all, some days i feel it a lot. Mainly when I go to sleep, it keeps me awake till late hours (example now, its 3 in the morning and im still up, due to the extreme uncomfortable feeling and fear of the choking feeling incoming and not stopping and eventually killing me after 19 years of my life)

Now, ive been to my doctor, which has been open to diagnosing me as an hypochondriac, which im certainly not agreeing with. She has made that statement due to normal 24 hour monitor (had a day that nothing was happening, of course) normal ekg´s in urgent care and her office and normal ultrasound. I did not get the blood tests which she suggested due to inability of being absent at my work and school. 

It is not a secret that I am an anxiety victim, I also handle stress very poorly and get very nervous daily - due to not that nervousness inducing activities - for a normal person. Like making a phone call, speaking to someone a little more important.. and so on. Im also very anxious about this because, as already stated in my previous threads from months ago, someone that I knew passed away due to heart error, and he was just in my age, actually in a month its going to be a year. Im also very anxious and extremely scared of death and illnesses. 

This makes me very scared due to poor heart condition family history, grandpa died in his 50ties due to heart attack, my brother has an arrythmia, father has been suffering from the similar stuff that im going through right now in his 30ties.

I dont think this is anxiety. But also, previously, I could have sworn I have a stomach cancer. It was obviously false. 

Please, if you know what can I do for myself in this moment or if you are somewhat familiar with my situation, let me know in the comments. 

Thank you, sincirely, 

Emma ??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have fears of mental illness not physical health issues. But I do know how horrible it is to fear something. Anxiety sucks. I wish I could help more. Big hug. 
    • Posted

Hey, thank you. You are in a very stupid situation right now, since it seems like its a closed circle of worry. You worry/fear - mental health gets worse - which makes you worry... and so on 

What I can say as someone with a mental illness, yeah, it sucks, but it certainly is not going to kill me. It affects the best of me and that is the worst part, but there is surely a way out, which is comforting. I know there are terrible mental illnesses that actually make people go crazy or end their lives.. but if you take prevention steps, the chances of getting that severe of an illness are very low, imo. Im sorry you feel fear on the daily too, but I understand you on a deep level. Best of luck, big hug to you too. 

• Posted

Sorry Emma, for your situation.

I spent the better part of two years thinking I was dying from heart related issues, skin cancers, mouth cancers, brain tumors etc. After a while of tests, ecgs, scans, blood tests and being told the same thing again and again, I made a choice. To accept it was anxiety. I did alot of other things too like go back to therapy, try CBT, read help books, do mindfulness and so on but mainly I just accepted my anxiety for what it was. Over time symptoms have reduced. In all that time, I have had some genuine illness (lots of tonsillitis episodes, strep throat and shingles. I think stress has made my immune system low) I've had a hemangioma on my tongue checked, it'll never go away. A benign mole removed from my vulva, that wasy biggest scare but all in all touch wood, nothing serious.

There's a chance I could get something, that's life. I may die in a car crash tomorrow or I may live to 100. I honestly have no control over that. But I can control my thoughts and how I choose to react to them and how I choose to react to situations thrown at me. And trust me, I **** up regularly but it's all part of life and learning.

You're in a bad place of knowing people in your life who have had heart issues so this fear plays even more on your mind. That's tough and you have my sympathy. It's very hard to silence that doubt and the what if's... I get that. A man collapsed in front of my when I was 12 and died from a heart attack. It's what stemmed my original health issues. I have many family members who had cancer so it's prominent in my mind. But right now I choose to try and not let it consume me.

You say you're choosing not to accept your drs diagnosis at the moment based on a normal day. Most cases I've heard of people with genuine heart issues there's been something in the ultrasound, monitor or ecgs that shows a blip even if you feel 'normal' that day. If you choose not to accept right now, that's fine. See another dr, get a second opinion. Find time to get bloods done, speak to your work/school I'm sure you can arrange something. Speak to another cardiologist.

But if after that they advise it's nothing, please try and read this book. It really helped me. And please don't be offended by the title. It's called 'Help me. I'm a hypochondriac" by Philip Martin's. Try doing some CBT and maybe ask your Dr for some medication to help you cope with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.