heart flutters and breathlessness, anxiety and snappy again

Posted , 3 users are following.

how many times i wonder for us anxiety sufferers to have to put up with these debilitating symptoms - i feel like a nuisance, and my poor hubi listening to my complainting but it boils down to be so terrified, heart flutters and breathlessness convinced it is a heart disease problem so worried, am trying yoga and ecerxicse and relax again and also gone to cousellor for help  , any ideas always so much appreciated.   

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear you have a listener in hubi.I know heart flutters are so unsettling.I have even experienced them during an ECG.When results come back normal I'm like WHAT?I have even gotten flutter when bench press but no loss of power and not have to stop.After awhile I was able to put those fears to rest.You should not feel like a nuisance.What you are going through will have the same affect on anyone who will get these symptoms.Keep trying.I have noticed and other people agree that making distraction efforts of somthing easy like listening to music or breathing exercises will help.Down the road the symptoms will lighten or go away.
  • Posted

Hey debi.

I'm the same as you. My heart flutters and skips beats. That's just 1 of my symptoms. There's so many more. And I to feel like a constant nuisance and feel no 1 takes it serious. The good reassuring news is your not alone. Our brains are so powerful we just don't understand and accept that it can cause such upsetting feelings that we can't explain and convince ourselves that it is just infact anxiety and nothing more. Just remember if any of us really had a serious heart condition would we still be here telling our stories. I've had it for many many years and was so convinced I had a dying heart that I actually accepted that I didn't have long left. That was a few years ago and I'm still here with the same symptoms. I'm physically fit and do a very heavy manual job. Now if my heart was about to give up I think it would have by now. That's how I cope with it. So try telling yourself every time you feel anxious it's going to be ok. Think positive as anxiety feeds on negative thoughts. Also try laying down in the dark with ear phones listening to soothing music. There is an audio anxiety dr that you can search for. She talks you through every feeling and symptom that anxiety causes. I found it. Plugged my ear phones in and listened to her in the dark she hit every nail on the head and I felt so much better.

Give it a go it may help.

Good luck

Chris.

• Posted

I think the audio you mention is the one I just including in my comment that is now awaiting moderation, maybe I wasn't allowed to put the name of the Dr but I completely agree with your suggestion and highly reccommend that audio and other books by that Dr too, they are excellent.
  • Posted

I always feel like I am a right pain to my husband but he insists I am not and I'm sure that yours doesn't think you are a nuisance either, don't be hard on yourself over this, after all if you had a bad flu you wouldn't feel guilty about saying you feel ill and this is no different.

I have been reading about inviting anxiety in and resisting the urge to fight it, anxiety thrives on our fear of it so the idea is that by embracing the symptoms we eventually lose the fear  and it has nothing to thrive on.

It's not easy but it does help, for example when my heart starts pounding instead of willing it to stop I actually will for it to pound  harder, it sounds like a crazy idea but it works, when I shake and feel dizzy or breathless I welcome it, I even say out loud 'do your worst, come on hit me with it' and I have stopped quite a few episodes of these sensations over the past few days by doing that.

Don't get me wrong, I am still struggling, I have been ill with this for years and the past 3-4 weeks have knocked me sidewards with it, it's been worse than ever but every time I beat those sensations I get a bit of control back.

Remember to take care of yourself, eat as well as you can, rest when you can and don't be afraid to seek reassurance from your doctor about your symptoms, take care x

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.