Heart hurting! :(

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone actually feel like their heart and left arm is aching? I've suffered from anxiety and panic for months and this feeling is the worst! Constantly thinking my heart is going to to just stop or I'll have a heart attack sad

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mimi, I get the same symptoms, pain in my heart. I am very very anxious. I went to the doctor to get my heart checked and blood. All my results were fine. The doctor said to me that it is possible that i was having muscle spasms due to not going out the house and not excercising enough. So maybe it is that? But please go get a check up at the doctors just incase. Hope you get better. Let me know how things go smile
    • Posted

Hi aiden thanks for your reply!

I ended up having a really good night last night and I know I'm not dying obviously as I managed to get through the night drinking and being normal and having fun. However today now I'm hungover I'm noticing things I wouldn't normally when I'm hungover and I can really feel my hert beating which is freaking me out! sad is this normal? I feel like it wants to just pop! 

• Posted

Hello mimi, this is a year long response, but im feeling the same thing, and actually i recently started noticing these things also after drinking a bit, and what ive heard, if you suffer from anxiety, drinking is the worst thing you could possibly do, so dont drink if you still suffer from anxiety.
  • Posted

o and i actually had a panic attack the once where i woke up in the middle of the night and i felt like my heart was going to stop. i was rushed to hospital, but all i had to do was not worry and just calm myself down. also if you feel a panic attack coming on have a paper bag at the ready. just breathe in and out into it untill you feel better. otherwise your breathing gets too fast and you breathe in too much oxygen. this is what starts the panic attack.
    • Posted

I have a question how does a paper bag actually help breathing 
    • Posted

Hi, it stops you from breathing in too much air (oxygen). when you breathe in too much oxygen your heart starts to race and your panic attacks get worse.
    • Posted

Sometimes what happens to me is that I concentrate so much on breathing in that quite simple I forget to exhale. So just remember to take a big long sigh and youll feel yourself calming. Been times when I have worked myself up into a frenzy and I just let out a big sigh and suddenly I feel so relaxed I could just fall asleep. But then I panic about being so relaxed.
    • Posted

yeh i get that too. the feeling that i have to just keep breathing in not out. like i don't have enough air but actually i was getting too much air the doctor told me.
  • Posted

You'll be fine cuz can't breathe my chest hurts I'm not dead from a heart attack my arms hurt to it just feels that way cuz r minds r crazy cuz they think we r in trouble when we r not so my fear of dieing  and your fear of heart attack r fake I don't get it but are minds are playing with us and making us feel this way and its not fair but you will be okay so will I and hopefully we both can get relief soon I have hope for u get better 
  • Posted

I had like 5 ekgs in the past 2 months my hearts fine I get paranoid all the time that I'm gonna die but it won't stop beating I believe in u hope u feel better
  • Posted

Let me tell you I have had 5or 6 ekgs, X-ray's blood work, a monitor that monitors for 24 hours and still have a hard time convincing myself it isn't a heart attack. I do suffer from rapid heart rate but I take meds for that an now trying meds for anxiety. It has been almost a year and I get soooo tired of it. I tell myself if I were going to have a heart attack it would just happen but it feels so real. I keep fighting the fight every day and night. I will pray for you when I am praying for myself and just know you are not alone!
  • Posted

Hi. I sometimes get the same thing. I was told by a doctor that it was Tietze syndrome when I went with chest pains and breathlessness. Tietze syndrome or Costacondritis is a temporary syndrome that MIMICS ANGINA. So you may think you are having a heart attack but you are not. The problem comes if you actually do have a heart attack but think it's just a mimic.

I have suffered with panic attacks for years. I can get them while just sitting on a bus and sometimes I get tingling in my fingers, toes and face.

The first time I had a panic attack it felt like my throat and neck was Twig like and I could snap it easily and I couldn't breath because my throat was closing up. I haven't felt that way for about a year though. 

I have found that if I realise I am having a panic attack and I just breath and focus on trying to stay calm I can control it. I was told to breath in through the nose and focus on breathing out slowly through pursed lips. It does work.

• Posted

All I've felt today is my the left side of my chest just feeling really funny and as if my heart is just going to stop. I tell myself if anything was wrof with my heart i would be in pain and something would have happened by now. I'm not in pain in just like a butterfly horrible feeling
    • Posted

yeh it is the anxiety. it may also be depression. do you feel sad or anything? both anxiety and depression can make you feel like there is something wrong with your heart.
    • Posted

Anxiety causes chest pain. My uncle (not blood related) recently went into hospital with symptoms of nausea, pins and needles in his left hand and breathlessness walking up stairs. No chest pain whatsoever. They told him he was after having 3 heart attacks. He's had his operations and is fine now. But chest pain doesn't mean heart attacks, they can come without chest pain but breathlessness seems to be a huge red flag. 

There's an article somewhere on google that talks about the difference between anxiety pain and chest pain. It says chest pain is a duller, broader pain encompassing more of the body usually on the left side, shoulders, back and even your jaw. Where as anxiety pain is a sharper pain, feeling more localized and almost on the surface of the body like you could ease it by rubbing the skin. Pains on the right side of the chest is usually attributed to digestive pain. 

Of course I'm not a doctor, only writing what I have read in my days of panic, always safer to get pains checked but if you're doctor says your heart is fine you should work to believe him. The stress anxiety causes on your body can eventually lead to real problems further down the line. Also excercise helps ALOT. It helps burn off some of the anxious adrenaline and tire you out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.