HEART IS GOING TO STOP!

Posted , 5 users are following.

After been on paroxatine for many years for panic anxiety/depression I was changed to fluoxatine after they stopped working..

I'm in week 8 now of 20mg of flux and coping ok but feel so flat lately, I've been coping with panic attack which were centralised around my breathing or the feeling of not been able breath.

But for the past week or so my focus is on my heart and have constant thoughts of" what if my heart stops" does any one else have these thoughts. I read on another group that when the focus of panic changes its seen as a healing process but find these thoughts im having even worse than the feeling of nit been able to breath!!

I'm in constant fear my heart is just goin to stop that I find it hard to work or move sometimes in case I just die basically.. it's to the point I hate the sound or feeling of my oan heartbeat.

Can anyone else relate to this sad

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey Shane! 

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have the constant fear my heart is going to stop as well, especially when I am trying to go to sleep. I find it very hard to get out of bed and move around and this is actually the first day I have gotten on my computer in awhile because of the fear I'm going to over work myself or something, which is understandable because the pain/fear is very real even though it is most likely being caused by your anxiety. One thing I have learned to do is when my heart rate is up, I open a timer and I breath in 4 seconds, then hold for 8 seconds, then breath out for 8 seconds. Another thing you could try (which helped me the most) is guided meditation. There are many guided meditation applications out there for iOS/Android and if you don't have a phone you can always look up guided meditation on YouTube, you will find many there.

My favorite for apps would be Breath and another app called Calm as for youtube I recommend The Honest Guys.

Sometimes when I'm laying in bed (actually most times) I can feel my heart beat all over my body (including my fingertips and feet, it's horrible and a constant reminder) but as soon as you get into the zone it is a lot easier to ignore. 

All the best xx

• Posted

I also feel like this a lot. I struggle to exersize in case it does something to my heart and think about it just stopping a lot!! I think it's actually a really common preoccupation to have When you have anxiety, especially if it's a more health related anxiety. I've read that gradual exposure is a good way of getting over fears, so you would gradually start exposing yourself to situations where you think your heart might struggle e.g. Gentle work or exercise. The more you do it the more you learn that nothing bad is going to happen and you increase the 'exposure' over time to the point where you are no longer frightened.

Good luck Shane!!

• Posted

Shane,

your heart is not going to stop! As uncomfortable as anxiety symptoms are, they absolutely cannot hurt you! Even when someone's heart is racing, such as mine has many times, it will NOT stop!

I am a former nurse and I also suffer from anxiety. 

what is happening is that fear and negative thinkingis taking you over and that needs to stop. You deserve to live with peace of mind and happiness so  be a fighter for yourself  and be relentless! 

I have had anxiety for over 30 years and I finally decided enough is enough! I did some research and read an excellent book called mindfulness meditation. It teaches us how to separate the negative thoughts from ourselves. Also explains the proper way to do relaxation breathing so that you do feel like you're getting enough air. Some meditations found on YouTube also deal with the issue of breathing. I mention this below

If you can pick a copy up of that book it will be well worth it.

let me share with you some things I have done that really helped. 

Remember....FEAR  stands for false evidence appearing real.   Which means sometimes when we have symptoms we think they are related to some terrifying disease, when in reality the odds are much higher that they are not.   Our minds  will go to the negative if we let it, so we must be in control.

Don't let fear take you over! Be a fighter for yourself! 

2.   Secondly, I go to Google or YouTube and look up hypnosis for clearing subconscious negativity. You don't really get hypnotized it's just a really great meditation.I put in my earbuds and lie down and listen to them. They teach us to separate our thoughts that are negative from ourselves. This is something I think could really benefit you!! They completely  calm down my brain and body to the point where I almost feel like I'm floating. This is such a great thing to do for your brain and overall health. I do this a couple times a day  specially when I'm laying down to sleep. There are MANY to choose from just pick the ones that you like.  There are meditations and anxiety, negative thinking, depression, etc.  There's also positive affirmation ones that are helpful too. I play them in my car and while I take a walk. The more you listen to these the more your brain and subconscious will believe them in the better you will feel

it will just calm everything down when you  are having an acute anxiety attack 

3.   Stay active! The worst thing you can do is sit around and think too much about all this. It will bring on more anxiety. As well as the symptoms. When I exercise my body completely calms down and the symptoms often go completely away. 

4.   Stay social! This helps keep your mind off your worries. The less you are alone the better at least until you manage your anxiety. Just do things that you enjoy. 

When  feeling anxious or anytime you'd like, do deep breathing. Breathing through your nose for about five seconds and make sure your stomach rises. Then exhale through your lips as though you're blowing out a candle slowly for another five seconds. Do this as many times a day as you need to. It helps if you're lying down but you can also do  it's sitting. 

The point of doing the breathing exercise is to bring you back to the present moment  when your mind starts going negative. Focus on what the air feels like when it's coming through your nose and what it feels like when it's leaving your mouth. 

Eat healthy! Stay away from processed foods especially sugar. Sugar has an inflammatory response including in the brain. This will just increase your anxiety and can possibly bring on depression. 

Don't forget to smile and laugh! Everything will be OK once you get a handle on this. Keep fighting for yourself and I hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Amazing comment Jan! I might use some of these tips myself. Thank you!
    • Posted

Great!!   The tips have really helped me and hope you enjoy them too! 😃

• Posted

I am having difficulty finding the book mindfulness meditation, when i type it in it just comes up with lots of different books, can you give author?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Jan. I know deep down that thinking it's goin to stop is so irrational and I never had any heart issues in life so don't know where the thought comes from rolleyes

I've done some work with a councilor private before which was mindfulness thinking and did really help to understand why panic attacks happen and what can happen during them but does not stop the irrational thinking pattern which can very disturbing at times.

I'm on a waiting list for CBT but was told it could be 3-4 months sad Ive managed to go back to work which helps keep my mind busy but can't drive distances like Im used to which depresses me as I used to be away every weekend doin motocross..

Hope I can get back to this soon

• Posted

Sorry its just called Mindfulness.  White book 

williams and penman 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.