Heart problem or anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've posted on this site a few times and love all the responses in get, they make me feel better majority of the time.

So, this has been going on for close to a year now, since January. I was in an extremely rough spot with my anxiety Janurary-June. I was never that bad in my life and I'm glad the bad part is over. Though I still have had lingering anxiety and still do. Basically I'm 17 and a hypochondriac, I know I am but that doesn't put my mind at ease when a new issue comes about. My big thing has always been my heart. I get everything you can think of that a person with a heart problem has. I have chest pain/tightness, shortness of breath, light headedness etc. There's times my heart rate has been 55-60 BPM and I never remember it being that low. I've been to a cardiologist, hospitals, immediate cares and my pediatrician. I've had blood work, ekgs, an echo, chest xray, holter monitor. They all came back normal and every doctor has said I look great. I just don't understand why I'm still having all these symptoms if everything is coming back fine. Are they missing something? Please of anyone has experienced any of this give me your feed back.. More recently too I've been getting hot/cold flashes and body aches. I'm not sure what that could be.

But anyways, thank you and please give me your replies! (:

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

All these symptoms are very common with anxiety. Given that you have had all the tests, and the fact you are so young, it is most likely anxiety. I've suffered with anxiety for around 10 years now and have experienced all of your mentioned symptoms. As for your heart rate, that is a healthy heart rate. A low heart rate is a sign of a healthy heart - it needs to work to pump your blood around (basically).

Once you accept your anxiety it becomes much easier, rather than searching for other answers. Once I accepted my anxiety and realised I wasn't dying my symptoms actually got better and i can control my anxiety now to a point.

Have you spoke to your doctor about anxiety?

• Posted

Well I'm glad to know you've had these symptoms too! Though I wish nobody had to have them, its a relief to know others do.

And yes, I go to counseling and am prescribed paxil. I've been on anxiety meds since I was 9. My doctors all know my situation very well, thankfully. I have this fear that I'll go into cardiac arrest so anything with my heart makes me very nervous

• Posted

Hi,I have had anxiety for years now and I have all the same symptoms u described,I couldn't believe that anxiety could cause so my symptoms but it does and some days I have a hard time controlling it,I keep telling myself its my anxiety makin me feel like this and to calm down cuz nothing is going to happen! This site has really helped me just by knowing I'm not alone and having someone to talk to!

• Posted

Im sorry ): I'm glad to hear there's other people too. This site really helps when you don't know who to go to. Not a lot of people understand it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.