Heart Problems or Anxiety??!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I've suffered from anxiety for a long time, I've had a fare few traumas in my life and I'm only 27!

For about 1 year I've had palpitations, my hearts not racing but I'm aware of my heart beat all the time. I check my pulse! Ive been to the doctor like 8 times and I've had ecgs and monitors all have come back clear!! My doctor said it's anxiety! I was just starting to believe him when the other night I fell asleep to wake at 5am with a severely racing heart after half hour it was making me faint and sick so I called 999 when they arrived I was tachycardic with a heart rate of 210!!! They ran tests and it did slow down but they couldn't give me any explanation!

I'm terrified I'm going to drop dead, and old fears are rising again. I have to go for a heart scan next week sad anybody been in the same boat??? 

Thanks

Again 

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

When anxiety hits hard it stresses every part of your body. The adrenaline will mess with your heart rate, make you dizzy, dry mouth, sick etc. If tests are clear then physically you are OK, these things will lessen when your anxiety is under control.maybe speak to your doc about therapy or anxiety meds if you want to go down that route
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, your not alone!! Ive been to A&E twice and out of hours doctor 3 times, 1 ECG and 3 doctora visits for blood pressure tests and 5 blood tests, all clear lol!  Im told its.a panic attacks. I get numb feet and tittinus too. Its terrifying but its only the anxiety, well thats what I tell myself but its still horrible! Anyway as I said if it makes you fell better your not alone!! Hope these stop for you asap! Ben x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi charlotte,

Just reading your post I auffer really bad with health anxiety my doctor has currently put me on some valium to help only 5mg. but my heart will always miss beats...its like a big pound in my chest its so scary.. always think am gunna die.. but ive had heart scan and ecg and everything and all comes back normal but why dont i believe them? how do you feel with yours?

Em

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey, my heart also does ectopic beats where it adds or skips a beat then does a huge beat! Doctor said they are normal but feel intensified because of palpitations

I just want to have this heart scan to make sure that it purely is anxiety, when my heart was racing it woke me and I'd had a chilled evening etc so makes me wonder whether it actually is just anxiety! 

The doctors almost fed up of me going in, he's referring me to a cardiologist. He always says it's unlikely a 27yr old will have a heart attack and die,  my answer to that is with my history that 1 person would be me!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Worrying about your heart will cause your heart rate to increase.

Id wait for the tests and if they come back fine, stop checking your pulse.

You may think it is helping you and keeping you safe but is it? Or is it actually keeping you frightened and worried about your heart. I think its the second xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've just been to see my doctor and he was totally unconcerned about my trip to hospital, he said its 100% severe anxiety!!! He's sending me for anxiety counselling. He said the same, that I need to ignore it. Not check my pulse! I feel like all the doctors telling me it's anxiety I'm going to try and think of the symptoms as anxiety!

Shocked me that my body could.have such a strong and scary reaction to anxiety! Doctor said lots of people have panic attacks in their sleep due to brain processing! Scary stuff!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Im glad there is nothing wrong with your heart. If you find it hard in the early days not to check your pulse, try to postpone pulse checking for as long as you can. Next time its feeling dicky, thinkto yourself can i put this off for an hour? I bet in an hour you will have forgotten.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've had anxiety for a year now and just as I mavsged to get my panic attacks under control in cane the severe palpitations! I get a flutter to a painful thud type beat and constant pain/ache in my chest, left arm and back. Had 3 ECGS and all the blood tests all came back ok yet symptoms not improving so scared il just due and I'm only 24 and a mother of 2 children it's so hard to focus on anything! Doctors keep saying anxiety but I feel like I've overcome that so I'm going to a private doctor to see if I can get in depth tests for peace if mind more than anything! 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Steph.. your heart sounds like mine it's so worrying I sent it. . How do u get a private doctor and how much are they? I want one. . They would care more cos your paying them more ha xx 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have heart palps off and on for years now. Usually when I am under a lot of stress they appear. They sometimes last for weeks straight then disappear for months. Aggravating. Every doc visit ways it's anxiety, caffeine, cigarettes, diet ect. I understand getting up with the heart racing like crazy. That has happened to me a few times as well. Scary stuff. Mostly it's just flutters a d the reeling of beats being skipped. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

same here charlotte I had all ur problems and I still have it sometimes.according to dr I dont have heart problem.but according me it is like I am going to heart attack.its all about anxiety!!!!u just need to control ur anxiety.it is that I am trying too.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up