Heart problems or anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok so I've taken some feedback onboard and I'm trying to by pass all my negative thoughts - 

Start cbt tonight too. However I keep checking my heart rate and it's fast. How can u tell if it's heart

Problems or anxiety? I don't always feel anxious but my heart keeps racing. Had ECG which was high but once I calmed down was ok and chest xray was fine. I'm always tired too. I just worry about everything. Bet I'm doing everyone's head in on here! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No you are not Kirsty.  Anxiety causes rapid heart rate, then when the anxiety eases the heart rate comes down. The brain working overtime causes physical symptoms.  Please don't worry about heart problems just accept that they are part and parcel of anxiety and keep going with the cbt.

Good luck and thanks for sharing because we understand how scary the physical symptoms feel.

• Posted

yep!! no- not really but it seems that when advice is given out your google another set of symptoms and disregard advice 

stop worrying 

what is your heart beat that you think is too fast 

have you very high blood pressure 

have you other major illnesses 

if not you are fine, but need to find out why you are worried about this  so much it has become the focal point of your life 

cbt will help but you have to work with your counsellor it is not a sounding board but a teaching aid.

• Posted

Hi Kristy,

If you are done with investigation and those are normal then don’t worry about cardiac disorder. Anxiety itself can produce palpitation, shortness of breath, vague pain. Keep occupied in good work. Divert your thoughts from being getting involved in health issues. It will unnecessarily strain your brain. CBT will definitely help you out to overcome this situation. Develop some relaxation techniques to control anxiety. Good luck.

• Posted

Is your heart rate over 100 beats a minute...if not, you are ok it is just anxiety, if its more than that u need to go to the hospital...thats what a good nurse told me when I was having my anxiety attacks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.