Heartburn and reflux not stopping on labeprazole 2x daily & raniditine

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

4 weeks ago I had a hearburn for 2 days and friend thought I shoudl have it checked out. At the time I slept well but was a bit sore. Dr prescribed PPI straight away which I took without checking the implicatons. Since then my life has been terrible.

I have not responded to single, double PPI doze and now raniditine added. Today a mobilum added. My symptons have actually hugely deteriorated. Huge reflux, constant hearburn for a week - no sleep longer than 1 hour per day on now elevated bed. I went to GP again (they are fed up with me) and ended up in A&E with pain yesterday. Now on kodein painkiller.

I had endoscopy at the beginning (privately) - week after PPI, which revealed some gastritis but I have not stomach pains or symptons (no nausea, etc.). But since then symptons have become so severe . GP is organising another endoscopy in a weeks time, but I am becoming desperate in coping with the pain (reflux and hearburn). No sleep, no respite...

Any help or ideas please?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Denisa - poor you - that awful to only be sleeping 1 hour per night because of this. I've been there too. I've read that taking apple cider vinegar can help? Seems counter intuitive but a lot of people find relief taking it. you don't seem to be responding to the tablets so it's an option?
  • Posted

Right away the doctors prescribe meds. I never had much trouble with heartburn, etc. until I took medication for it. When I went off it I suffered and am still having problems that I never had before. Ugh!

• Posted

Thank you....yes I so regret going to the doctor. My mum in law said it could have simply resolved by itself after 2 days. So regret starting with PPI as everything went downhill from there.

I have also heard about apple cider (thank you for the suggestion) and tried, but on PPI it probably does not work. Or not on me now....

• Posted

Agree with Anastasia that you should give Apple Cider Vinegar a go. This may sting your throat initially if its sore. If this happen try aloevera with slippery elm powder to soothe it. I would also take a couple of DGL licorice tablets before each meals as most of us here like them. Please dont despair as there are heaps of options. Really watch your diet and eat as plain as you can till you get through this bad patch. Watch elevating your bed tooooooo much as could get spine problems to add to your long list of woes. Have a browse through the ulcer section to see if anything rings a bell.
  • Posted

Hi Denisa,

Your symptoms sound just like mine!  I have been unwell for the past 18 months. had umpteen tests including 3 endoscopes - one of these showed a hiatus hernia and some inflammation. I take esomeprazole & motilium but still my symptoms persist. My GP is fed up with me too and I have been to casualty twice in desperation! My story is a long one.

At the beginning of all this mess I wasn't,t getting much sleep but I now take mirtaziapine which has helped a lot and also within three days of taking motilium I began to feel a little better.  Still taking motilium but sometimes think it makes me feel worse so at the moment I am trying to wean of them.

I guess we just have to keep on mothering doctors there must be something they can do!

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

Oh gosh so sorry to hear that. Frightens me when you say 18 months!

Did you  have any other tests like PH testing, mobility tests, etc.?

• Posted

Hi Denisa,

Yes I have had PH test and two manometry tests. Ph test showed no acid and manometry showed my sphincter is too tight so surgeon says surgery is not an option for me.  I am not convinced of this and wonder if I should have been off medication for longer to give a more accurate result, this is a question I have to ask at my next appointment, which I am still waiting to receive!  

One endoscopy showed a 3 cm hiatus hernia the other two did not!  I could write a book and I am sooooo sick and tired of it all.

On a more positive note I am coping better with the whole thing and learning to live with it. After a few days of taking motilium I did start to feel a little better and heartburn was more controlled so hopefully you should start to feel better soon and hopefully will be able to get some sleep.

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

Hi all! Same story... Lansoprazole, not ilium, ranitidine and antidepressants. Still can't sit down after meals but symptoms easing after 3 months...not gone but less distressing. Diet seems to be the main thing. Have cut out all fat (except goats cheese) tea, coffee, tomatoes, onions etc and reduced portion size (snacking between meals to try and keep weight up as now underweight). Going to try jamie kouffman's 'dropping acid' diet. Sorry if you know this and have done it already. Oh...bed raised on blocks 8". Hoping this works for you and your GP is sympathetic, it's a horrible disease and I have found it so upsetting not to be able to eat as I did before. (Never overweight but did enjoy the odd cheesecake!! The thought of never eating chocolate again is so sad)

Best wishes, Jo x

• Posted

Thank you jo smile  Just read about low acid diet last week thought to try too. Unfortunately, I have now in constant heartburn reflux pain so food does not seem to be very attractive anyway,. Also trying to keep weight up as lost 7 kilo in 3 weeks. Bed is up but with little effect. So down right now! Feeling worse than before going to doctors with simple heartburn.

Glad you feeling little better now. Are you still on lansoprazole, etc. etc?

• Posted

Yep, still taking it all (except the motilium as didn't notice any benefit from taking it). But still relying on gaviscon advance after most meals ...still trying to figure out what I can and can't eat. Chicken and fish and steamed veg generally ok but so so DULL. Hoping that the symptoms will calm down and trying to forget that ppis just reduce the acid but don't actually stop the reflux. Manometry and 48hr bravo tests booked for May - have to come off the ppi's for those and I'm really not looking forward to finding out how much they are helping. Already had gastroscopy before Christmas.

Hope you start to feel better soon. Thanks for your reply x

• Posted

Helo jo ....what pain this all is. I cannot believe there are so many of us suffering. Did you have to come off PPI for the gastroscopy? THANK U SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT ....FEEL SO ALONE....
    • Posted

Hi Denisa,

You are not alone.  There are lots of us suffering! Must keep on punching and mithering the Doctors!

Lynne x

• Posted

Hi again! Yes I did have to come off the ppis, for 7 days! Can still take gaviscon I think but do check with your hospital... I have more tests in May and can continue taking ranitidine for a little longer. I know how you feel, I have only met one person who has understood that food is so much more than just fuel..I nearly cried when she said that. It's so frustrating that stress can exacerbate this too. I'm always being told 'one day at a time' cos looking too far ahead is sad/scary. Thank you for your posts, they really do help xx

• Posted

I am assuming you have been tested for h.pylori? if not, look it up. The PPI's, whilst initially helpful, seem to cause other problems - many side effects including depression/anxiety so counter productive!  I've had acid reflux etc for 2 months,( but also have a hiatus hernia) mainly brought on by anxiety. I'm having to forgo tomatoes/wine/caffeine and chocolate but have looked again at my lifestyle. So, cautiously optimistic, here's what I'm doing. Small amounts of food little and often. It's better if you eat. Drinking plenty of water. Breakfast is probiotic yoghurt and a banana. A small lunch and a small dinner. Fresh homemade ginger tea.  No food after 7pm and bed/lying down 3 hrs later. I take Aloe Vera juice with manuka honey (from health shop) to calm the oesophagus lining. Try an alternative to dairy, ie almond milk or coconut milk. Am about to try mastic gum so will see if that helps. I've still got the chest heat but it's a lot less

pronounced. There's a way to go yet..................

• Posted

Hi! Thank you for this post, I will look into aloe Vera and try ginger tea, sounds nice and anything to stop my burning throat. Also great to hear some optimism...been a bit thin on the ground recently! All the very best to you, Jo x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up