Heartburn is back

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i have been on medication for 20 years for acid reflux had them all i am currently on Emeprosole 40mg and it was and had it under control...but of late i am waiting to go in for colonoscopy to see if i have ibs or diverticulitus as i am gettin pain in left hand side but over last week or so heartburn is back with a vengance after all these years i am wordering can ibs or diverticulitus symtoms cause reflux acid...my talblets had acid well under control...thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bob,

Do you know if you have a hiatus hernia or not? This can be irrated by bowel problems - more gas in the stomach as the bowels slow down and causes pressure on hiatus hernia which results in increased reflux. Interestingly enough PPI's can cause IBS over long term. I have great problems in tolerating PPI's - don't like the ranitidine I'm on either - they just mess with your natural digestive systems!

• Posted

Yes glennie matter of fact i do have a hiatus hernia forget all about it at times funny thing i cut back on my food not to have to much gas but still it was bothering me...the emeprasole i am on is the strongest i have been on at 40mg and beleive there pretty expensive so this coyld be my problem the hiatus hernia
    • Posted

Bob have you been doing any lifting at all recently? This is the quickest way I know of for really stirring up reflux. It is a real bummer when these things come back after so long in remission. The body adapts to drugs and compensates and this is why throwing more at it eventually leads to disaster. Best of luck!
    • Posted

If you still get heartburn though you are taking the emeprasole - then they are not working for you. I only say this as I was taking to my surgeon a few weeks ago who said to me that you should only have to take PPI meds and shouldn't get reflux breakthrough. I did get breakthrough acid reflux - and I still do with my current meds. I think the problems with your bowel will also be linked - over long term PPI's stop you absorbing vitamin B12 and also magnesium. They were never really meant for long term useage.
  • Posted

I have been on operamzol 40 mg medication for the last 3 years and still having the same pain like you on my left side and have an appointment with my docĀ for the comingĀ dec 31 2014
    • Posted

Hope you get on ok mesimeko i have to have a colonoscopy in early january my pain comes and goes now mostly but still better to get these things checked out..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.