Heat and Numbness after PKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a PKR last week - my wound looks nice and healthy (it is under a waterproof gauze) - however - the area around the wound is extremely warm and is also numb (a good 3 " from the actual incision)

I realise that there was a lot of trauma to the area but....

I am using ice packs - but it melts very fast !!

Is this normal or should I contact my GP ?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am nearly 9 weeks post op and the area around my scar is still warm and numb, so all quite normal.
  • Posted

You can expect it to feel warm for 3-4 months after surgery. The heat is the body's indicator that healing is occurring. That should be reassuring. I iced all the time, but not for longer than 20 minutes.

-Mo

• Posted

Oh, and unfortunately, I don't know that the numbness will ever go away. I'm 22 months post op and still have an odd numbness. I've decided it's better than the pain I had before and I can deal with it.

• Posted

Steve,

I'm 5 weeks post TKR, and the area around the incision is quite numb. My PT said it could be a year before feelings returns, if ever. He said if I'm physically active (hiking, etc) to check the numb injury for possible injuries since it's not likely I would feel it.

Diane

• Posted

Hi Steve,

My surgeon told me that the hot feeling can take up to a year to go, and the numbness never goes

At eleven months the hot feeling is long gone, but the numbness doesn't bother me, it's where nerves were severed.

• Posted

Steve

Had PKR May 19, still numb . Thank you Diane for the advice on checking for injuries . Never considered that , I am very active physically (well before and getting back into )and that is good to remember .

Debbie

• Posted

Hi

I had per 11 weeks ago and my knee is still numb, strangely more to the bottom of my knee a good few centimetres from the incision, the area felt very warm for first 8 weeks or so, but has calmed down now, the knee is still a bit swollen but it takes time, the recovery for a tkr and pkr seem to go along a similar recovery process judging by others remarks, I must admit I wasn't expecting that, I thought a pkr would be quicker! Get plenty of rest, do your exercises but try not to overdo it, I was told limited walking for first 2 weeks, just walked with my crutches to end of drive and back then after 2 weeks gradually started to increase it.

All the best and take care.

• Posted

Temporary soft tissue and nerve damage. Even 4th[ugh it was pkr, there is enough cutting done to do damage that will take weeks or even months to full heal
  • Posted

It will be hot and red for several days. As long as the incision is not oozing or leaking you should be good. Good luck and speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Steve I had tkr on both knees and had the same symptoms as u, my first one was 3.28 and my second was 6.1. I still have the feeling kinda numb to the side of both of the knees and although not hot it is warm to the touch and I was told as long as I have no fever and there is nothing coming out of the incision which is fully closed its normal. I had to check with the dr just for piece of mind. Gl with your healing
  • Posted

I had my PKR a week ago today

I cannot see the actual wound itself - it is covered by a waterproof gauze - but it has not leaked any blood into the surrounds !!

I am only 52 and am concerned that the rest of the knee will need "doing" at some point in the near future as well - which will mean my having to go through all of this again !!

The actual op was no bother (I was out like a light, the anesthetist told me to count down from 5, I may have got a far as 4 !!) - it is the post op trauma that concerns me

At what point is it safe to use my exercise cycle ?

I have been able to walk about 5 yards without my walking frame

I cannot walk with crutches - due to a lack of coordination caused by an ancient head injury..

• Posted

Hi

I am 50, it probably depends on the state of the rest of your knee as to whether you will need a tkr in future, I was advised that for me a pkr would save the rest of my knee.

I started sees awing on my exercise bike at about 4 weeks post op, then at 5 weeks physio had me doing a full rotation, the exercise in the gym was quite a bit higher than my one at home which made it easier, it was quite painful the first time, but after I had done it once it became easier and I piled cushions onto my seat at home to make it higher. I have been riding my push bike outside since 9 weeks post op, gradually increasing the distance.

Take your time and don't judge you're recovery by anyone else as everyone is different, your body will tell you when it is ready and will also let you know when you have overdone it.

• Posted

1st ....ask for a walker....much safer than crutches, especially 8n your case.

222nd...don't be so eager to get on with the excerciser. Right now you should only be concerned with strengthening the quads, slow leg lifts, etc.. Wait till the stitches/staples etc have been removed. Get in the habit of resting every time you have a chance. Just because you cleared the anesthesia with no problems doesn't mean your system isn't still full of the medicine that has to work it's way through the system. Hydration is the most important thing you can control. Nutrition is very important but don't think you have to do it with big meals. Snack throughout the day but use healthy foods with lots of vitamins and protein. Take your pain mess on schedule not when the pain starts. Slow and steady is the way torecovery. I've been through rehab 5 times and the 1st couple I did most of it by trial and error with heavy emphasis on the error. Don't try and judge your healing hour by hour....day to day. Look at 3 weeks, then 6.....then 3 months. Slow and steady.......you'll hear this over and over....this is a marathon, it's not a sprint.

Lots of help from this forum as all have been through it.

• Posted

Im 5wk into tkr nand im always getting a cold foot,even with a sock on it feels realy cold.any ideas anyone?xx
    • Posted

This isn't unusual.....sometimes the thigh area will get spots that are cold ANF feel like they are frozen. During surgery the put a tourniquet on your leg to control blood flow. This will slow down and temporarily cause the blood flow to your lower extremities. Slowly this will return to normal. Stay with the excercise program. You can massage the calf and ankle with some massage grade oil just don't get it near any completely unhealed incision. The other cold skin areas can be caused by nerves damage. Nerves are the last part of tkrs to heal. Often times you will go through the original discomfort then suddenly it will pop up again for a short time. Unfortunately, rehab for this surgery is not a straight line up but a jagged up and down path. Just stay with the process putting extra emphasis on the rest and hydradtion. Softvtissue, blood flow and bones will return much faster when you are really well hydrated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.