Heat and Numbness after PKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a PKR last week - my wound looks nice and healthy (it is under a waterproof gauze) - however - the area around the wound is extremely warm and is also numb (a good 3 " from the actual incision)

I realise that there was a lot of trauma to the area but....

I am using ice packs - but it melts very fast !!

Is this normal or should I contact my GP ?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My foot has a hematoma / bruise on it - I have no idea where it came from

It is on the side of my left foot (a week after I had a PKR on that leg)

Should I be concerned ?

I am on DABIGATRAN blood thinners (I had a DVT in my left leg, over 20 years ago)

• Posted

I wouldn't worry too much about the bruise, I was amazed at how much bruising there was with my first TKR, from waist at side right down to my foot!

All colours of the rainbow, took about three weeks to totally go.

Your on blood thinners as well, so expect bruises popping up. After all it's a very big surgery, you are going to bruise.

Good on you, walking without a frame, very early days yet.

• Posted

I am walking, short distances, without a frame already - my recovery is happening !!
  • Posted

How is the steel knee insert actually fixed to the bone - is it just cemented or is it "keyed" ie) Slotted in to a "cut-out" in the bone ?

If the former - what is the lifespan of the "glue"

Does the bone grow over the joint ?

I have too many unanswered questions - sorry

• Posted

I tink its screwed on by the look of it on utube .does .ake u wonder though
    • Posted

That's where part of the resurfacing come in. The femur is chiseled down smooth and then the "rocker" is put on with an adhesive or cement. It's sets up rapidly and solid.

I have a rare tumor called PVNS for short. When it originall damaged my knee I eventually had to have a tkr. 9 years later pain kicked in again and it was discovered the tumor had eaten around the peg that goes into the tibia and it had broken loose causing it to turn rather freely and with every movement, it touched a nerve creating unbelievable pain. A revision was necessary and the lower part was so loose the surgeon removed it with his fingertips. He was concerned about getting the upper piece loose because of the cement but a slight tap with a small hammer caused it to pop off. The tumor had also been working on the femur. Now fast forward to the morning after surgery... Having been through this I was ready for the day .....I was out of bed.....with help, off to the bathroom and back to a chair. I decided to get cleaned up and in doing so and trying to dress my self I fell and twisted the femur into at a 20 degree angle. (the new femur artery pain relief method saved me the horrific pain of the broken bone). Day 3 I'm back to surgery to mend a broken bone. Through all of that the new prosthesis was like a rock. Since then, due to staph, I've had to have a 3rd prosthesis. To answer your question about time.........most revisions are due to wear and tear on the prosthesis and not on the cement that holds it in place. My surgeon said he's seen 20 year old cement still holding great.....It's the other stuff that wears out a little. I've had 11 surgeries on my leg and should I live to be a very, very old man I might have to have another due to the PVNS...........but not because of the cement breaking down

• Posted

I am now 5 weeks post PKR - and have stopped taking strong painkillers (Naproxen) and I am just on Paracetemol - however, the pain has returned - in large doses

It is down my shin - and I don't know whether it implies that the surgery was a waste of time ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.