Heat from scar

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am 3 weeks post op on tuesday for my 1st tkr its getting better slowly its still very painful but it gets better everyday. But sometimes l.wake up in the middle of the night and the heat thats coming from.my wound. I use ice packs all the time and its not that swollen either.it just seems to get really warm sometimes. Is this normal?

Laura

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The heat you're feeling is normal. It will go away slowly. I'm 7 weeks post op and I still have it. Stay positive.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

The heat coming from knee is very normal. That is, I understand, the process of healing. I am 5 months post op and the warmth is still there, less now . Good luck.

• Posted

Just joined...my knee is hot at night had my op 4 weeks.. Just read replies...can stop worrying now......wat r you like bending it...and wats your pain like......I am still bad it's 8

• Posted

Hi carty

Please don't be scared l kinda thought it was just my body's way of healing. It cools down after a while.so its fine. And yes my knee is stiil very stiff but its a lot better than when l 1st got out of hospital l can bend it a lot more than l did. It jusr takes time and you will be fine. I have not got my 1srt PT appointment until thursday so l will see what they day then. I am just after gettting both my hips reolaced and they were big sore ops but l got there and they are both brilliant although l will say my knee has been the hardest and most painful although l new l could get thrugh it. And l have only 1 knee left to get replaced but l am having a break as l have had operation after operation since december. My right knee still needs replaced but its not giving me any hassle at the moment so lnam going to go back to work in a few weeks and work part time for 6 weeks building up.my work hours as l have a years worth of holiday left that l have bot used olus stuff l carried forward from.last year. So l think.the rest of this year is going to be easy for me to work myself back in at my own pace and get back some normality.

Carty what your going through is normal

Laura x

• Posted

I'm almost 5 months and my scar is still much warmer to the touch, but getting better.

• Posted

Hello Laura.,

yes same as you, you could cook a egg on the heat coming from mine.

iam also in quite a lot of pain, but I have quite a few other health issues.

i use a large pack of frozen peas, find that much better then ice.

its more flexible to wrap wround your knee.

then just put them back in the freezer for next time, use them 2/3 times a day, or as needed.

saw the head of Physio on Friday, she said you can do 20 mins, but the first 10 minutes are the most benificial.

stay on top of the meds don't wait till pain gets to bad, that's important.

good luck.

oh and we never get to eat the peas, ha ha, 

• Posted

Ha ha Alision they peas will get used yet. Well before l went into hospital l bought 2 knee ice packs. They are perfect they mould round your leg and you can either use it as a heat pack or put it in freezer. That way we get use our frozen pea's as l am quite partial to peas sometimes ha ha 😀

• Posted

@ 3 weeks, you've just srated the journey.  This may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Stay strong...it gets better...

• Posted

Hi chico

I have read your info its very good and totally spot on. I am 4 weeks on tuesday and have my 1sr physio next thursday. I seem to recover quite good l can almist bend my leg right yo to same as other one. I would say you were totally right about it being more painful than my hip ops and the pain is lasting much longer but l have adjusted to suit it. I can drive small distanced and walk without aid like l did with my hips but my PT told me that l had great muscles around my hups and legs to work with so its maybe that

I know everyone heals at difftent paces. I have decided to leave my other knee a few months as my mum gets her 20 day intence radio and chemotherapy starting the 20th and l want to make sure l am there for her fully. Life just seems to get harder the older l get 😯

Laura

• Posted

Yes...sometimes it feels like that.  It's harder being 68 than I thought it would be but I just have to get past the next six months.  I'm 6 months post-op and I want to be back on skates at 1 year p/o.  Gotta get stronger and regain my balance...hard to do with weaker legs.  But at least I'm past virtually all the pain and have great flexion.  I don't think the clicking will ever stop but we'll see.  Doc says it's metal on plastic, so...duh, live with it.

@ 4 weeks, you're still in the middle of the tough stuff.  Work hard in rehab and then the gym afterwards...it will be worth it.  Eat healthy and hydrate a lot.  I'll be putting off #2 for a while also...at least I'll be better prepared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.