Heavy bleeding after posterior repair

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I'm new to this forum and wish I'd found it before my surgery! I'm almost two weeks post op and still bleeding quite heavily. I just wondered if this is normal? I've got an appointment to see the consultant tomorrow only I'm scare I may need more stitches down there and need another operation! I'm hoping you may be able to reassure me that it's normal?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello laura and welcome. You will get a lot of support on this forum. Please don't worry because it's highly unlikely you'll need more stitches. Bleeding following the operation is quite common. What did you have repaired?
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I had a rectocele repaired, however I bled badly post op and needed 4 units of blood. The bleeding slowed a lot prior to discharge but is now quite heavy and is fresh blood which is why the consultants secretary has slotted me in sooner. There was mention before I was discharged of possibly needing to go back to theatre but luckily things settled but sadly at the weekend this has become like a heavy period. Really hoping I won't need more surgery 😐
    • Posted

It's unusual to bleed following prolapse surgery. Well try not to worry, you are obviously in good hands and you'll soon be sorted out. Is the bleeding making you feel tired because there's always a risk you could become anaemic?
    • Posted

Yes I do feel pretty tired, I seen my gp earlier this week as I was in a lot of pain and she has prescribed me iron tablets due to my blood count still being low so I'm hoping to feel better soon. Thank you so much for replying to me, I'm hoping to be sorted out soon I just hope I can avoid another general anaesthetic.
    • Posted

One thing is for sure if they can avoid it they won't give you another anaesthetic.
    • Posted

Hi Matron

i had TVH & posterior & anterior repair 3 weeks ago.  I've had absolutely no problems at all.  My 'loss' has been relatively light and only need a panty pad, however this morning it seems to be significantly more, is this usual? 

• Posted

Hello Linda. It is quite common to have a heavier bleed. It's usually due to the internal sutures starring to dissolve so you could find the odd one working it's way onto your pad or one in the toilet. That's perfectly normal as well. I never saw my sutures but a friend of mine who had prolapse surgery a few months ago found hers in the shower. You still need to keep resting though and keep your feet up but I'm pleased everything is going well for you. The only thing to add is if you do get any abdominal pain along with bleeding then you should see a doctor. I'm sure that won't be the case but I just feel as though I need to mention that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.