Heavy periods after myomectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Help, I am 11 weeks post op following an open myomectomy for the removal of 5 fibroids. I hadn't had a period for many months prior to the surgery as the bleeding was so bad, causing me to be anemic I was put on medication to stop it. I am currently on my third period since the surgery and all have been severely heavy. The second one was much shorter than the first however, but for the first 1-3 days the bleeding is so heavy I have to go to the bathroom every half hour. I have spoken to my gp in my return to work assessment and she said it's something I need to discuss my consultant in my follow up appointment but that's more than a month away. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey I also had a open myomectomy to remove 1huge fibroI'd I am 10 weeks post op on my 3 period since the surgery and My period is heavy on the 2-3 day I spoke with my gyno and was told that some people just have heavy flows while others are much lighter and that it was normal I guess it was based on the type of questions asked by gyno how many pad I used in a day and the type used so I guess when you go to your follow up they will let you know if everything is OK I hope all goes well

• Posted

After a myomectomy the first  2 or 3 periods can be heavy, it then settles and should become lighter. Had a similar situation, my periods did become much lighter with no need for medicatioin to stop heavy bleeding. My consultant actually warned me about this after the surgery so I was not surprised. Discuss it with your consultant when you meet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.