Hello every one could really do with some support from you all.

Posted , 4 users are following.

firstly, I have to thank you all for starting this blog, I don't know what I would have done without it! I have never heard of D until three weeks ago when I was taken to hospital with this nasty horrible condition. I spent three days on a drip being pumbed with Metronidazole 400mg and Ciprofloxacin 500mg. these antibiotics seem to be worse than the pain. I have now finished them yesterday and feeling better apart from feeling so weak and tired, is this normal? I don't know which way to turn at the moment and could really do with your info on it all regarding food/drink etc.

Kathy

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You may still be having some discomfort as your body heals inside and your natural bacteria levels return. Take it gently with your diet for a few weeks, starting with plain foods that are easily digestible. Rest up and get your strength back too. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hello Alexandra. Thank you for your advice,really helpful! Could you help with some diet ideas, I'm finding it hard to put foods together to actually make up a meal? Last night I had 3 small new potatoes with a piece of salmon steak, I did peel the potatos. Then I had a jelly, I'm I on the right path. I am in stage 2 of recovery.

• Posted

Take it easy lots of people take only liquid for a few days after an attack Drink plenty of water and rest up I had a bad attack at Christmas was ill for a week it took me about a month to start feeling better Hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

Thanks for posting me. Can you tell me what you did when you had a bad attack at Christmas. Did you have antibiotics handy. I'm thinking of asking my doctor for a emergency supply. I hate the antis they make me really ill but I suppose we have to take them.

• Posted

I should have gone to hospital but it was when they were at busting point. So I spent 4 days in bed went to GP when it opened and took antibiotics. My GP has given me some to keep at home just incase it happens again x
  • Posted

Keep to soft foods and drink minimum of 2lts of water a day. They call it a liquid diet. Keep the portions of your food also small. And eat in intervals. This helps your digestive system get a break in between.

Also, if you feel constipated because this may happen after the antibiotics works out your system use senokot - I was told by my surgeon only to use senokot.

I do hope you feel better soon. And once you start with fibre again you will feel your energy rise again.

• Posted

Thanks for your post Zeta, everbody is so helpful, you also seem to know what your talking about too. I'm so glad I found this blog! you are so right about the energy thing...I have none at the moment. I will take on board all you have said. All advice is welcome. wink

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Kathy, I'm not much of a cook, but when I need to revert to plain food I generally go for eggs, fish or chicken. I have potatoes boiled, jacket (remove skins) or mashed with a little milk. As for veg I go for root veg such as carrots, or leafy things like cabbage, or broccoli and cauliflower. All well cooked to aid digestion. I'm not a great pudding type, but have natural yogurt for dessert.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.