Hello, I am 24 and I have suffered with depression on an...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I am 24 and I have suffered with depression on and off since I was about fifteen. i have found that the bouts of depession I have are usually caused by an upset in my life, and certain things seem to trigger these off. I also believe that this time of the year can make you feel so much worse as the weather and dark mornings and evenings do not help.

I often feel guilty about how low I feel and I have not told any of my friends about my condition or the prescription drugs that I am on.

I hadnt taken anti-depressants since I was much younger again around 16, but just before Christmas I was very low so my doctor put me on citalopram, I was on this until a couple of weeks ago when I returned because I could not sleep and really did not notice that much difference. I was then put on mirtazapine which i was to take one a day for a week then start taking two aday after the first week.

These tablets made me feel really strange almost like the blood in my head would start pumping really fast, i cannot explain this feeling, or compare it to something else I had felt before. so I stopped.

anyway I know I did not give these tablets a chance to work, and i have not been back to speak to my GP although i should. I really dont want to be put on anymore tablets and I am hopeing to find another way to make myself feel better. I have extreme good days than black hole like days, I would really like these to just even out a bit.

I joined the gym a few days ago and I am going to start going everyday if I can. My gym is expensive so in a way it makes me go even if i dont want to see anyone or leave the house.

I will let you know how I get on, please let me know if you know anything else I can try.

Mia

[i:a3bd9c7f90]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a3bd9c7f90]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You might want to investigate Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, which many people find useful. There are books available, and you might be able to get a short course from your GP.

I like my meds. There are some side effects, but I found that they were worse during the first month and after that they got less severe.

[i:f82feaa605]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f82feaa605]

• Posted

i am 25 and nearly word for word the same as you. i have just been put on mirtazapine 15 mg, i feel so weird! i have been on them 3 days and i feel like my head is going to explode, i feel dizzy, tearful because i cant funcion normally. i sleep over 12 hours and no amount of trying will wake me up...as my partner has disovered.

I am going to try out for the end of the week but if i still feel this bad i am going to see my doctor.

I sometimes feel doctors just put our age bracket on the same checklist of meds. i knew when i was in the surgery these tablets would be trouble for me as they are sedatives! i was already sleeping alot on my previous tablets.

I feel so rubbish today, i cant leave my bed, i have been in tears all morning.

does this medication get better?? any advice?

I have work that i should be doing and i cant as i am so ill.

• Posted

Hi Ukgirl did you get through the side effects...how long did it take?

I am also just starting Mitazapine and have similar issues....

• Posted

Mirtazapine is usually started at 15 mg taken at night. My experience when i first started taking them was that i did feel groggy in the day, this wore off after a couple of weeks, your body adjusts to them. When my dose was increased to 30mg they made me irritable and i could not sleep.

They have helped me eat, [I had a problem with no appetite before this and lost lots of weight] . I still take 15 mg of mirtazapine & 50 mg of sertraline, at one stage i was on 100mg sertraline and 15mg of mirtazapine, taking 100mg of sertraline with 15mg of mirtazapine was too much they interacted with each other and i got side affects. I then reduced the sertraline to 50mg with 15mg of mirtazapine and have been ok on this. I have noticed that if i forget to take my tablets then take them the next day i get like zapping noises in my head, and it disturbs my sleep to the extent that i am up most of the night, restless and irritable. :roll: I just wish that i could get off all of these tablets and not feel so useless and tearfull with out them. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.