Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am very new to this horrible illness, and as yet have not been diagnosed with it! Just starting seeing my GP, I have had an X Ray and ECG to rule out anything more sinister and get the results later this week. The thing that is driving me crazy is this tickly cough, it is driving me mad! It sometime makes me feel like I could choke! I seem to have so much sputum boiling up all the time! Worse in the evenings! I also have a very blotted stomach! Can anyone help me with this cough, it is awful during the night too! Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would Suggest what Finally Worked for me. Allergy Pills Good luck
  • Posted

Sounds like allergies. I know that annoying cough . Ugh!  Your Gp should know if you have an allergy. An allergist  is the way to go.  
  • Posted

Reflux is often mistaken for allergies.  This was the case with me.  For me, allergy pills were worthless. Reading and following Dropping Acid by Dr. Koufman, alkalline water and melatonin at night have helped me tremendously.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan!  I don't think it is an allergy, I have tried antihistimines and they make no difference.  As I said earlier I am new to all this and after another awful night and morning I have now bought Gaviscon advance to see that helps me get a decent nights sleep.  I definitely seem to be at my worst after eating, when I lie down and early mornings!  The cough is actually quite scary as sometime as seem to lose my breath.  My throat is now red raw with all the coughing and I am just really fed up now.  I also have a horrible taste in my mouth, far to much saliva which makes me need to swallow the whole time and a coated tongue.  I always feel the need to swallow as if there is something stuck in the back of my throat.  I should be seeing the doctor in the next day or two so hopefully, fingers crossed I will maybe see some progress then.  But reading everyone else's stories, it may take a long time to get to the bottome of it.   
    • Posted

Hi,

Read and follow Dr. Jamie Koufman's advice in the reflux book, go and see your doctor. It is acid reflux! I have it and I must say Dr. Koufman's book is the way to go. It is a very nasy business this acid reflux and you need to change the way you eat, what you eat and when, quite drastically. Alkaline food and alkaline water!

Take care 

• Posted

Hi Daniel, thank you for your reply!  Since I was last on I have being researching so much online and also a huge article by Dr. Kaufman.  Since then I have learned so much and have cut out all the bad things in my diet.  Also I have changed my eating habits, now I am having 3 small meals a days and it all really seems to be helping.  I used to drink a lot of coke and ate lots of oranges!!!  My biggest downfall was wine, that has had to go too!! Unfortunately I do enjoy a drink socially so hopefully I will be able to get around that eventually.  I am taking Gaviscon advance after every meal so maybe that is also helping.  Unfortunately I am still up twice a night for a coughing fit, but not as severe.  I did raise the legs of my bed but don't think that has helped.  Go to see the doctor tomorrow morning so will have a chat and see what he thinks.  Forgot to mention, I love spicy food, curries and chilli especially, so you can see I was a walking candidate for this awful illness.  I hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel without having to do without all the things I enjoy in life.  Thanks again, you take care too!
    • Posted

Hi Spottycat & Daniela,

I too have found great relief with the Koufman diet and her other recommendations you mention.  However, the addition  of melatonin 2 hrs before bed has helped with the niggling leftover silent reflux problems. Melatonin and the Koufman info has helped me be almost cured.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Spottycat,

I am glad to hear you informed yourself! The diet has to be drastic and forget about wine and spicy food for sometime, alkaline water with a ph higher than 8 it will do you good. Stop eating all together 4 hours before bedtime, do it religiously. You need to be strict and tough if you want to turn things around and feel better.

No garlic, onions, spices or curries, just plain, bland food!! Also, do as the doctor will tell you.

I wish you well,

• Posted

Hi Susan, thanks again for your reply!  In what form do you take Melotonin?
    • Posted

Also following the PH in the water!!  I do already feel a lot better but have a long way to go!  Thanks Daniel!  At least I am on the right track now!  
    • Posted

Spottycat, 

I just take a 3-5 mg tablet two hours before bedtime.  I find the 5 mg works better than 3 mg.  I started to feel relief after about 8 weeks.  I have taken the melatonin for two months now and, as I said, my symptoms are nearly gone.  I don't know if this ever completely goes away.

Susan

• Posted

I am taking myriad natural substances for this...aloe vera, slippery elm, etc plus I have eliminated fried foods, alcohol, soft drinks and I have lost weight.  The cough is the worst symptom to deal with.  I find that over the counter allergy meds really reduce the coughing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.