Help!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hiya I need some advice please. 

I've been taking 20mg of cit now for 3 1/2 weeks, first 2 weeks I felt like death! Anyway last week I felt like is really turned a corner with actually having an anxiety free day and much more positivity. This week I've felt like I taken 2 steps back again, low appetite, feeling sick and anxious again. Is this normal?? Please help I'm desperate. 

Liz 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning Elizabeth

Sorry to hear your'e having difficulty.  I'm only on day 20 so not at your stage yet but just wanted to reply.  It can take 4-6 weeks for the Citalopram to have a full effect so perhaps you haven't got there yet?  Are you hormonal?  Just a thought because that may be making a difference if you are.  Like you I'm finding this very up and down, I had 2 days last week where I felt really positive, not totally anxiety free but certainly MUCH better, then this week I feel like I've taken a huge step back, not only that but I'm getting hardly any sleep.  It does feel like it's never going to improve but I'm hoping it will!  The therapist I see said last week there's a possibility I will have to take 30mg which I really didn't want to hear at this stage!!

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback guys. :-) I just feel exhausted all the time, I sleep like a log which helps but feel foggy all day which leads to me feeling really low and unmotivated. The anxiety has got better I just feel very depressed. I'm trying to get going, I've managed to go to work every single day since being on cit which I think is an achievement in itself lol!! I've left a message for my GP to call me to talk. So, should I just go with it then?? Feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel :-(
    • Posted

Eugh I know exactly what you mean about feeling there is no light at the end of the tunnel, feel exactly the same. I have the complete opposite issue with the sleep though. I've also been at work every single day, not a walk in the park I tell you! I don't think we have an option but to just go with it.
    • Posted

Do you take your meds in a morning or an evening? I take mine at 6.30 every evening have a shower then I feel I can watch TV with my Daughter whilst being relaxed, I'll go to bed at 10ish and sleep till about 6ish then dose till the alarm goes off at 7. The days are sssoooo long when your feeling miserable arnt they? Here's hoping it gets better soon. I wonder if the GP will up my meds. 
  • Posted

Hi ELisabeth it is quite normal to feel really bad for the first few weeks but it only gets bettersmile when I started on citalopram I didn't think I was gonna make it, suicidal thoughts anxiety you name it but it got a lot Better, I had to keep myself busy , walked a lot exercise anything that makes you feel better hunni , I am comingo off citalopram at the moment after 3 years of taking it , keep going Hun and good luck, keep us updating xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Anna, these posts keep me going at times! 

Your right it's when I have time on my hands my mind starts to churn on the most oddest of thoughts! I then doubt myself and being able to recover. It feels like everyday is almost like a battle with myself, I just need to plod on and pray I start to feel better soon. 🌸

• Posted

I take mine in the morning.  It doesn't seem to matter as I've tried both ways.  Evenings are still my calmest times anyway. 

I am the same, i've actually found since starting the Citalopram I'vd had more odd thoughts than I had before starting it!  So far in the last month I've had leukaemia, heart disease and oesophageal cancer.  You may laugh but for a couple of hours i was CONVINCED I had each of these on one day or another!  I'm also finding myself ridiculously worrying over things that may or may not happen in the future, it's taking a lot of talking to myself to stop it.

• Posted

Oh we need our heads banging together don't we??! Your right thou, that's the times I begin to doubt recovery because like you, since starting the cit my heads been all over the place. Worrying about the stupidest of things, they just seem so real at the time. I feel I've definately got worse so I'm hoping the GP is right in saying you go down before coming back up! 

I'm struggling with nausea too and it starts a vicious cycle. In the sense that I feel sick so I don't eat, then I feel knackered and anxious, I literally have to force myself to eat when I'm in that frame of mind because when I do eat something I pick up a bit. 

Have you been like me and had just about every side effect on the list?? To cit's credit I have heard that once they do work they are very effective in treating anxiety and depression, in fact one of the best. So fingers crossed. 🌻🌻

• Posted

Well I'm glad it's not just me then!!!  It's really weird cos before I wasn't actually worrying about anything in particular it was just really bad general anxiety.  I haven't had ALL the side effects, the increased anxiety/panic, agitation but the worst is really bad insomnia.  I literally haven't even slept for 5 minutes in the last 2 nights and when I do it's around 3 hours.  As you can imagine this is not good for anxiety or mood.  I'm like a freaking walking zombie here, then when I get into bed I can't sleep!!!!  Arrggghhhhhhh.  Like I've said before who the hell invented a drug that makes you get worse before you get better?????
    • Posted

Me too!! I just was constantly anxious, stomach churning but about nothing in particular, I functioned so to speak. However these last few weeks I've done nothing but worry, even silly stuff, things that never even worried me before!! 

It's kinda reassuring in a funny way that someone else is in the same boat and yes, I agree - who does that?? Invents drugs that make you feel rubbish before better! 

I really hope you get some sleep, I can imagine the effect it has must be awful. I'm grateful for the relief on a night and look forward to getting into bed, it's my 'safe' place. 

• Posted

Hi everything your feeling well go away in a few weeks just ride it out. Read others people s story s that sometimes help knowing your not alone take care.
    • Posted

Thanks Shell, it does help hearing that alot of others have been through the same thing.  I'm trying my best to ride it out!!!!
    • Posted

It is reassuring because I didn't expect that symptom.  I understood the increased panic or anxiety but I wasn't prepared for finding myself worrying to the point of panic over things I wastn' worried about before.  Oh well at least we know it will get better! 

Yeah I hope I get some sleep too because it's becoming a battle ground my bed, I am kind of getting in expecting a struggle to sleep which of course exacerbates the insomnia.

• Posted

You will get there, and if in s few weeks if you still feel crap u can try other med s. I am on sertreline. I found the side effect d were better. But u might hive yours s few more weeks. Remember the gp.s dont always get it right. U know your body not a gp. They just put u on pills snd don't explain what happen s next. But your doing well just keep in their.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up