Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been taking Orlistat for about two weeks now. I was all prepared for taking them. The stories about the oils, the cramps, the running to the loo (lol)

NOTHING is happening to me. I feel no different and its really confusing. Ive started taking two before each meal instead of one but no change.

Ive read a lot about them and they dont seem to be affecting me.Maybe im not eating enough fats?

This is a typical day for me

BREAKFAST

2 dry wholemeal toast with 2 slices of ham, scrape of low fat cream cheese, lettuce, tomato OR 2 weetabix with skimmed milk

LUNCH

Special k Bar OR Ham salad sandwich (wholemeal bread, dry)

DINNER

1 piece of meat (ie chicken breast, fish, lamb chop), 3 baby potatoes and veg

Maybe im not eating enough for them to work? Can anybody help me?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Ok, 1st of all it doesnt look like you're eating enough, you can have up to 15g of fat per meal but no more than 30g fat a day.

2nd - unless your dr has told u to, never take more than 1 tablet per meal, 3 a day.

3rd - you ONLY get these bad side effects if you're doing this WRONG, depending on how much fat you've overstepped by depends on how bad the 'accident' and how soon after eating it may occur!

A typical days eating for me:

breakfast -special k & 1 weetabix mixed together with 1%fat milk

lunch- 2 white pitta breads, extra low fat flora spread, 1/2tin of baked beans, low fat yogurt, fruit

dinner - bbq seasoned chicken breast (grilled) with rice and veg, ww desert

-thats about 18g fat in that days worth of food, i have milk in tea, have a low fat hot choc on days when i haven't eaten much fat.

• Posted

as Sparkles said just take 1 tablet with meals, taking 2 won't make any difference than taking 1 apart from costing you more if you are paying for them.

It is very weird to know of the side effects but not get them but that is the aim, not to get them if you do you have gone over the allowed fat allowance.

Also as Sparkles says it does look like you are not eating enough.

Today I have had:

bowl of mixed cereals, Special K, Shreddies and fruit & fibre.

Cup of green tea

Lunch was toasted tuna and lettuce sandwich with sweet pickle

couple of Snack a Jacks large

4pm - had low fat cereal bar and dried prunes

Tea packet rice and 2 slices bread, low fat hot cross buns (had 2 :oops: ) but under 2g's each.

9pm had a WW Lemon Cheesecake dessert.

been a bit peckish today as got my monthly but still don't think I have gone over the 30g's

also been drinking water and had 2 cups of coffee

• Posted

Thanks for replying guys.

EVEN when i eat fattening foods nothing happens.

I put it to the test tonight and allowed myself to eat what i shouldnt.

I had a healthy fish/veg tea

Large McDonlads fries with 2 BBQ sauce

Mcchicken sandwich

Cheesburger

This time i took 3 beforehand and still NOTHING.

so now i feel fat and guilty for eating junk food. Im really disappointed. Guess they just dont work for me : (

• Posted

[u:621f7eefe5][i:621f7eefe5]Seriously you should not take more than 1 tablet![/i:621f7eefe5][/u:621f7eefe5]

You may find the nasty side effects take up to 48 hrs so dont assume they're not working cuz its not happened straight away.

You shouldn't be 'testing' the tablets, just stick to the rules and the weight comes off with no side effects - why are you trying to make yourself have a horrible accident? say you go out today or tomorrow and all that macdonalds stuff leads to an 'accident' you could be in public, trump and leak oil with no warning (yes a worst case scenario but why do it to yourself!)

Your McDonalds meal was 51g fat which took you 36g over what you should have had, i'd be surprised if you didn't get a side effect sometime in the next 48 hrs!

McChicken Sandwich - 16g fat

Large fries - 23g fat

Cheeseburger - 12g fat

If you use their website you'll see on their nutrition info that theres things you can have from McDonalds but they're pretty much all in the salad section

You say you've been on the tablets for 2 weeks, have you weighed yourself between the start and before this? I'm sure you'll have lost weight which is a sign they are working.

• Posted

[quote:322f052af1=\"help 2 \"]Thanks for replying guys.

EVEN when i eat fattening foods nothing happens.

I put it to the test tonight and allowed myself to eat what i shouldnt.

I had a healthy fish/veg tea

Large McDonlads fries with 2 BBQ sauce

Mcchicken sandwich

Cheesburger

This time i took 3 beforehand and still NOTHING.

so now i feel fat and guilty for eating junk food. Im really disappointed. Guess they just dont work for me : ([/quote:322f052af1]

Seriously are you for real? :shock:

• Posted

O M G !!

SERIOUSLY - STOP THE MADDNESS!

you are messing about with medication - and I'm guessing if you haven't had any effects from what you've eaten and meds taken - it'l only be a matter of time till you do! Stick to the dose & directions - or don't take them! You could end up with a bowel obstruction and seriously endanger your health! (and no, I'm not being dramatic, I'm a nurse!)

Please go back to your gp asap.[/b]

• Posted

why is the quote in a different name to the poster ???

seems a bit iffy if you ask me

• Posted

ok I realise i was being silly. I think i just felt the urge to lose weight. Im back on my low fat/healthy diet.

Just been weighed and lost 1lb this week. Its not much, but better than gaining so im happy.

I WONT be taking more than what i need.

The reason my last post was different was because Im getting used to the site and hadnt signed in. Nothing 'iffy' about it. Just that im clueless when it comes to computers.

I know i sounded crazy but havent you ever felt so desperate?

Back to proper diet

• Posted

[quote:701e69bb32=\"Holly_Boo\"]The reason my last post was different was because Im getting used to the site and hadn't signed in. Nothing 'iffy' about it. Just that im clueless when it comes to computers.

[/quote:701e69bb32]

well if you hadn't logged in you should of come up as guest so it looks like you may have created 2 accounts.

As for the diet if you really don't understand how it works from reading the leaflet within the pack may I suggest you speak to your GP or nurse to make sure you are working along the correct route as it's going to be a waste of time and money if you are doing it wrong and be very disheartening if you think you are doing it right and then learn you are not losing when in fact you are doing it wrong.

Basically you are allowed 30g's of fat per day and that is TOTAl fat not just the saturated fats, no more than 15g's at anyone one meal.

• Posted

I have an appointment with my Dr this wed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and for the advice.

• Posted

I cant believe anyone would want to \"experiment\" with these tablets!!

The thought of having the \"orange oils\" is enough for me & probably others, I hope I NEVER get the side effects!

I know losing weight is a very hard thing to do & any easy way out is very tempting but messing with medication is not the way to go!

I learnt the hard way that a low fat diet & plenty of exercise is the best way to lose weight! Im proud to say I am trying my hardest to lose weight & its working! Slowly but im feeling fit & healthy! I haven't felt this good in a long time.

It really does make me sad to think there are people abusing & trying the easy way out!

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF & IF YOU GET THE ORANGE OILS YOU WILL UNDERSTAND HOW SILLY IT WAS TO EAT ALL THAT FAT

• Posted

[quote:b44171fd6a=\"Holly_Boo\"]

Just been weighed and lost 1lb this week. Its not much, but better than gaining so im happy.[/quote:b44171fd6a]

you'd have probably lost more if it hadn't been for the mcdonalds binge.

draw a line under it, start again, this is a new week, hopefully you'll see some more lbs disappear if you stick to the low fat diet.

• Posted

I really wish I hadnt have said anything now. I panicked. I have a history of eating disorders and for a moment i slipped back into it.

This time i want to do it right and keep the weight off healthily. Ive lost close to three stone by eating healthily. Ive joined the gym and started running.

Please stop telling me off people. I had a moment of madness. I feel so silly now : (

Im going to do this properly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.