Help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys,

I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago about my weight problem, and she said that Orlistat would be a good option. I agreed, but was told I had to lose 4 pounds before I went on it. Since then, i've had my birthday and i've really really been struggling with losing the weight, so I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and whether they were still allowed on the tablet without having lost the 4 pounds? I'm back at the doctors in a week, and have to lose 6 pounds before then but really don't want to ruin this, I feel like it's the one chance I have of sorting this out once and for all!

Thanks

Krissi x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

start your day as a new i did and i am on touching 3 stone weight loose !! as long as u stick to 10gms of fat per mean snacking keep to bananas and pears becoz the are low in cal and just keep it cool i lost 9.5 pound in one week so if i can do it u can i was 16 stone when i started on them one things that i founf was frink up to 3 lts of water a day flushed every thing out stay off fizz juice just to get you going xx
  • Posted

I was not asked to loose any weight before I went on them, I had to loose 4lb's in the first month of starting them.

As for the suggestion of eating banana's someone else was doing this and I asked my nurse who said it's not advisable to eat so many as they are high in natural sugars so not something to eat daily and only a small one.

I'll pull out the advise my nurse gave for the other member and post the link on here.

• Posted

Hi Krissi

Just thought I would fill you in on my experience with starting on Orlistat. First thing to consider is all doctors/nurses are different believe it or not. I did not even have a doctor prescribe my Orlistat. I went to him about my weight as I am wanting to have children in the next few years as I have met the Man of my dreams :D My Doctor sent me straight to my nurse to advice. I had never heard of Orlistat until my nurse had mentioned it to me and told me about the side effects but she wanted me to try lose half a stone on my own before she gave them to me. To be honest I did not want to take anything and was happy to do it on my own anyway. I had lost half a stone and she offered the Orlistat to me and I turned it down and said as long as I lose on my own I dont want help with anything else but would consider if I hit a wall and not lost weight for a few weeks.

Anyway time went on and I got a bit sure of myself and everytime I weighed in I was putting again and started putting on more than half the stone I had lost initially. My nurse still offered Orlistat even though I had put on weight. I then started on the research and read so many posts on here dating back to 2008 so got a real feel of it and realised what I had to do. I then decided to take it and feel great as it is keeping me on track and making me so aware of what I am eating. Had my first weigh in today while being on Orlistat and for the first time in 3 months I have lost 4lbs and over the moon :D :D

My advice would be, try sticking to the 30g limit even though you not on Orlistat yet, do some exercise and try convincing your doc that you have done the research. Explain it was your birthday and you determined to give it a go and this will help you stay on track as you have the dreaded orange oil to avoid as you incentive to be good. Even ask for another chance to prove yourself since it is not your birthday. Remember this is for a lifesyle change and we cant avoid birthdays (as much as some of us would like to :D ) and need to learn to make better choices no matter how hard it may be sad My birthday is coming up next week Wed so I have the challenge to face but I am determined to make better choices.

Keep us informed on what happens and remember all Doc's are different. Also ask if you can see a nurse fornightly for info and weigh in's if you do get the script.

Good luck and all the best.

Hope this helps and has not been a boring read.

xxxpearlxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.