Help!

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm 8 weeks bilateral TKR and my knees are aching so much! I don't know what to do, I can't get comfy anyway, I just want to cry, I have had enough today! I have taken my meds and had a bath, done icing as well, what can I do? Xx

2 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Firstly I think you are so brave xxx. Remember you are only 8 weeks and so you will be achey.   Have you tried heat instead of ice?   That could be comforting for you.  I think moving around sometimes helps as you get stuck in one position.  Don't get down, we have all been there and it will get better, I promise you.   
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

ohhhhh bless you we've all been there I just take 1 extra med get on the bed with a cuppa roll round and swear til it kicks in or have a good cry then I read me book and if I wanna stay on the bed all day I do lol I think its your bodies way of telling you enough is enough and to take it easy???? im sure you wont feel like that tom???? can you bel at 56 ive felt soooo bad ive cried and wanted me mum lol hang in there and moan on here if it helps x x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

get on the sofa and put jeremy kyle on lol ul realise then that ur quite normal lol oh my cons told me yest to be drinkin at least 2 litres of water a day as it helps disperse the meds quicker and also helps with stiffness and muscle cramps he said ur bladder gets used to it after a couple of days???? ive just measured it and its 6 glasses phew!!!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Poor you!   I just cannot omagine how you are coping with having both knees done at the same time!  Have you got Netflix or Sky Movies or a good book?!!  Seriously, it seems as if you are doing all that you can do and all that has been recommended by various members on this forum.  All the comments are good advice - make sure you are making full use of your prescribed medication, move about a little, even if it is just walking between rooms or the garden.  It is just a question of healing over time.  You will certainly notice the difference in another month or so - you are nearly there!  I would try and get as comfy as you can, make yourself a nice drink and try and distract yourself by watching a good film or reading a good book or having a chat with a friend. Best of luck for the rest of your recovery.  We all sympathise with you.  I am five months TKR and it is just so good to be able to walk without pain, but I can still remember the discomfort and pain during the first few weeks after the operation!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sanda

Firstly, I must echo other people's comments about how brave you are to have both done together (I've had both done separately...and neither recovery easy).  Also, the need to take strong mess, ice and heat...rest and exercise.  I took Tramadol too, but only at night as it made my eyes funny!

Music was my saviour...playing all my favourite tracks as loud as possible and singing at the top of my voice.  I'd also have my IPad at the side of me in bed and set it on a very long playlist.  I went off eventually!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Goodness I was a wimp having just a PKR..I was given tramadol but was also prescribed prescription cocodamol to take in between and I took them religiously...think I did tramadol every 6 hours and cocodamol every 4...also I hated icing so didn't do it at all however bought an electric blanket...put a pillow between my legs and stayed in bed until meds kicked in then got up for a few hours....I am now 14 weeks and am doing really well...that doesn't help you now but just to know you do come through it hopefully gives you a little boost even if it'd a tiny tearful one today...take care Sarah
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I found taking a bath in Epson salts really good. It takes the toxins out of your body mine is a lavender and mint scent and it smells really good too. Hang in there. Try and sleep, tomorrow is another day and closer to being better.  I was hoping to have both done at the same time but the surgeon wouldn't hear of it. All the best to you dear. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sandra I know exactly how you feel. Although I've only had one TKR exactly ten weeks ago. Mine was very complicated (needed two ops and had extra bits put through my shin to hold it up).

I have only just started to notice an improvement in the last week with pain. My leg is very bent so I do an enormous amount of exercise each day and see physio each week. I may need further surgery for this (I find that out tomorrow).

The next strength pain killer up from Tramadol is Oxycodene. I'm still on this. It also comes in liquid form which is brill for breakthrough pain.

Ask your Doctor if you're struggling.

I find that gently moving my knee is the only way to relieve the ache (I use a single bed sheet rolled up around my foot and gently lift and bend the leg). This is the best thing ever for me to get going. Only downside is sore arms when I first wake up...overall workout I reckon. Lol.

I also bought some foot pedals on line (£30). I used these at physio. They are like a bike but more gentle as you sit on a chair.

Exercise seems crazy when in pain but it's the only way to help ease muscle and joint pain.

After a little bit you'll find you can get much more comfortable when you rest.

Ice is great to use to help swelling after exercise and heat is good to relax muscles. No point doing them one after the other...your leg won't know what's going on.

Also remember to massage the knee. The more you can soften the scar, the less it will hurt. Use bio or E45 to help.

A good cry isn't a bad thing either. I've realised its the perfect thing to help get me to sleep.

I promise it does get better and soon xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up