HELP !!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the forum. I was diagnosed with adolescent depression four years ago I am now 17 my depression when away but over the last year it came back and kept getting worse and worse I have been to my gp 7 times and the keep sending me back to councillors but it's not working I keep telling them that but they are not listening it's getting to the point now I cry my self to sleep every night because I hate feeling like this and I wake up In the morning wondering what am I going to do to day and how bad am I going to get I need help but the doctors are not listening what should I do ?? 

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gabby, your so young to be suffering like this. Are you on any medication? Can you relate the depression to anything in particular, depression is a inner anger, something that is not resolved in your life can set it off. Sometimes we don't know why we are depressed. If you are not happy with the GP try seeing a different one in the practice as some GP's are more understanding of mental health. I am surprised that Counselling as not helped you, were you happy with the Counsellor? Try to get some fresh air everyday, go for walks, exercise and eat healthy. Go to the library find out what is happening in your area, try some voluntary work. You need to take small steps and to help yourself to recovery, it is not easy i know. Have you a parent or relative you could talk to about how you are feeling? Hope you find this helpful.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth thank you for your reply I have so much happen to my family in the last four years and I recently had a abortion which now I think was the wrong decision but I am coping with it I do have good days but my bad days are horrendous I think I need some coping mechanisms and no I am not on medication
    • Posted

Hello Gabby,  I understand if you have recently had an abortion that may have set off your recent depression. Do your parents know, if so speak to them about how you feel about this. You may feel you have made the wrong decision and you need to talk about this specifically with someone you trust or a Counsellor, someone who will not judge you. Maybe a short course of medication will help. Go back to see a GP you feel comfortable with and say you really need help with this. I take it your not working, in the meantime there are some great courses on the Future learn website that cater for all sorts of interests. They are free and will give you an interest, you do them on your laptop, they are about 6-8 weeks long about 3-4 hours a week, thou you don't get a qualification they are worth doing. I am disabled and cannot always get out so find them a great way to learn. Keeping busy will help you cope thou you still need to talk to someone.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hello Gabby,  I agree with Elizabeth, you ought to try another GP at your practice and if that is not possible, maybe a walk in clinic.  In my experience not all Doctors are sympathetic when it comes to understanding depression.  Councelling can be useful for some people but not always.  I myself have never found it helpful.  Medication may be helpful, but there are many different types and finding the right one for you, can take some trial and error so be prepared.  You said it went away, then came back, is there anything that you think may have triggered its return?  

I would suggest seeing another GP, be open and honest about your feelings and thoughts and if necessary ask for something to help you cope.  I would also suggest if you have a close friend or family member you talk to them about everything on your mind.  If there isn't anybody you feel able to open up to, you can use this forum, there are people here that truly understand what you are going through and are happy to help.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.