Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all!

I've suffering from acid reflux for years so after a long debate wether I should or shouldn't have Nissen Fundolication at last in May I went for surgery and had a partial anterior Fundolication. Unfortunately my body produced too much scarring tissue and was left unable to eat or drink, with severe pain and horrendous hiccups! 10 days after surgery was rushed to A&E and had surgery for the second time to widen the aesophagus, as nothing could go pass. Surgeons took two stitches down and performed a dilation. Is September and I've only just managed to get back to work. The feeling of having something stuck at the back of my throat is the worst I've experienced, I just had a bad episode of acid reflux that lasted two weeks. I'm off all medication as doctors believe I shouldn't be on any tablets. I'm in pain, can't sleep at night, anything I eat makes the pain worse. I honestly feel worse than I did before I had surgery! I wish I hadn't gone ahead with it! Can anyone shed a light please on my symptoms? Is this normal? Can't cope with this anymore and don't cries say I should stop worrying about it! Thank you and God bless

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Juan,

I totally understand how you must feel. I had the Nissan fundoplication last year, and never went off the PPI's because I needed it. If I didn't take it I would get bad heartburn and unable to eat anything.

when I spoke to my surgeon recently - he said that I shouldn't still be taking the PPIs. Which would probably mean I guess that the wrap is loose. So I am going to have a endoscopy next month.

after the surgery I was able to eat almost everything, for about 7 months, after that I started to get really bad heartburn again despite me being on the PPIs - so I had to go back to being on the same diet as prior to the operation and now it's bearable. I am on a high dose of omperazol 40mg twice a day.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply. I was told I didn't need to take any more PPIs as that's the whole point of having surgery to get me better and to get me off medication. I was on 40 mgrs NEXIUM once a day, 40 mgrs OMEOPRAZOLE once a day and 20 mgrs RANITIDINE one a day, as my symptoms where very bad. I'm away on vacation at the moment and am currently taking NEXIUM as before as its unbearable! Got an appointment with my GP next week. Tried to speak to the surgeon and it's been impossible. Will update you after my appointment. Thanks again

• Posted

That's good you are taking the nexium Juan,

its not good to tolerate too much of that heartburn pain, coz it will only coz more damage to you esophagus - that's why I continued to take the nexium, until I saw my surgeon. I rather be on medication that is going to stop the pain, than put up with the pain knowing that it's damaging my esophagus.

do let us know how you go.

i too Will keep you posted after I see my surgeon.

• Posted

Just wondering why did the doctor tell you to go off your medication? Were you on PPIs?

i would go back and see your doctor ASAP or even call up and talk to him on the phone to get some immediate.  Advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.