Help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have been suffering with acid reflux for quite a while now, it’s orobably worth mentioning that I suffer with some anxiety too which is usually under control. I’m aware the two can go hand in hand. 

The symptoms I have most commonly is a strange taste in my mouth sometimes, feel extremely full after large meals and sometimes for quite some time, a lot of burping which relieves it slightly and just a general feeling that whatever is going down my throat is coming back up.

Anti acids seem to slightly help but not for long, can anyone suggest what this could be? As it isn’t going away. 

I’ve read about HH and concerned it could be this as the symptoms seem to line up pretty well?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I too have been dealing with this as well for quite some time, I just passed it off as IBS, because of bloating and gassy feeling after I ate.  However the last four months a new thing started for me, and that is esophagal spasms if I over eat....before I could eat anything at any amount and never have an issue other than burping, bloating and sometimes indigestion.......but this is an added thing.  It has also come with a lump feeling in my throat.  So I have decided to get it checked out, at this time I am going to do a barium swallow to check how the muscles are working in the food pipe, with it I will be doing an upper GI and it will look for things like HH or any abnormalities.    I too suffer from anxiety, and I too had thought I had mine under control, but I am learning that with this disorder you can feel fine but you are internally tensed up and you take on more physical symptoms......For my own peace of mind even though I am not looking forward to the test itself, it will give me a peace of mind and if there is something then hopefully it is something that can be fixed or reversed.  Good Luck and I hope you get answers too.

• Posted

Are you sure you get Oesophageal spasms?

They are absolute agony - often confused for a heart attack when they first happen.

• Posted

Yes they are, went three times to emergency room, they tested heart and all was good, I even went for further testing heart echo and stress test all was fine, but your right when they happen it feels like a heart attack....I found out why that is, the esophagus and heart share the same nerves....so  when it's doubt get it checked out.   The pain can radiate through chest to the back.......not fun.  Once that settles after a few agonizing hours then I get weeks followed by lump sensation I the throat.  I don't often get burning pain or acid in my throat, but I do get burning pain in my upper back....I have chronic back issues so I am not sure if it related or a separate thing.

• Posted

Hi Jamie

I had a hiatus hernia which caused chest pains as discribed by Linda. No back pain, however. Like her, I hadn't really suffered with acid in my throat at that stage.Although I have since. Your symptons sound very like those of other hiatus hernia suffers, though.

My hernia was quicky and accurately diagnosed by an endoscopy. I was put on PPIs, which kept it at bay for about six years but, exacerbated by stress, it gradually got worse and upping my medication wasn't helping. 

Six weeks ago today, I had a laparoscopic fundoplication procedure to repair my hernia. Things still haven't completely settled down as yet, but I'm hopeful...

Deb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.