Help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

I am into the 6th week of citalopram. 2 and half weeks at 20mg the rest at 10mg.

I was just wondering from other people's experience. Should I be feeling less anxious and depressed by this point? Could the dose be to high or could it be that I need a higher dose?  I am also on 10mg of propranolol three times a day. ( 3 days) 

I know that everyone is different.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I found that I felt better after 1 week but it made me feel ill for 2-3 weeks.  If your anxiety is bad, 10mg won't do a lot.

20mg was perfect for me when I was suffering from bad anxiety and allowed me to get my life back.  Id ask about going to 20mg.

• Posted

Hi. I am on 20mg at the moment. Nearly three weeks on 20. 

But my mood hasn't lifted that much and I've been prescribed beta blockers because my anxiety was sky high.

• Posted

Hi rox

How are you ?

I've been citalopram for approx 5 weeks

Had a meltdown early hours Monday morning (I was due to start work at 06.30) terrible anxiety and depression

Had a rough weekend too

Ive reduced down from 20 to 10 mg of citalopram in readiness for going on venaflaxine this week

Phoned gp and I was in terrible state

She asked me what I wanted to do?

Said about increasing cit to 30mg?

But I said it's still giving me diarrhoea about 5 weeks !

Anyhow she said go straight on the venflaxine yesterday .

Bit anxious as side effects can be bad on this med.

Been feeling like a wanted to cry for no reason at various stages through the day .

I got signed off work

As couldn't just face it tbh

Sorry if this is a bit negative

The GP said last week that I should have had some benefit after a month

I know they take time to work

Hopefully done right thing going on the venaflaxine

I read it's what you put you on with other meds haven’t helped.

Take care xx

• Posted

That was' when other meds haven't worked' my typing is a bit off as usual

• Posted

That was' when other meds haven't worked' my typing is a bit off as usual

• Posted

Hi Rox 

Apparently when you make an increase in mg you potentially start getting the side effects all over again. So although you have been on cit for 6 weeks you have only been taking 20mg for 2. 5 weeks so you may need to just base your start date from the moment you increased. I reckon you should give it a few more weeks on 20mg citalopram and then see how you feel. 

Trouble is if you worry that it’s not working, then that might naturally make you take longer to feel the benefit. I don’t know. ( fist time on cit for me too ) 

I’ve been on cit 10mg 3 weeks tomorrow. It’s been great mostly, although the past 24 hours I’ve had a bit of a blip after a stressful situation that arose Monday. But I think it’s only natural for me to feel apprehensive but it’s just heightened atm because I have anxiety already. I barely slept last night, was in a state of fight or flight most of the night. It was miserable but have just tried my best to think positive today and get on with work etc and focus on the progress I’ve made so far. 

Focusing on the positives will also help you if you can try to do that.

Hopefully you will feel some relief soon and will be one of the people on here that raves about how cit helped you so much. I’m hoping that will be me too. 

• Posted

Thank you Sarah. I did think that. 

Some people say it doesn't make a difference and others say it does. Hopefully I'll pick up once I start my cbt. And I have a hypnotherapy session on Thursday so maybe I'll feel more positive after that xxx

• Posted

Just to add from my last comment

My GP said that although I might not have thought the 20 mg was helping

When I went back down to 10mg it m the 10mg wasn't enough to help me as I was .

Anyway to waffle what I'm trying to say

It's probably about getting the right dosage and trying to be patient

Although that's difficult isn't it ?

I was/am so desperate

Just see how I get with the venaflaxine

Plus having telephone appointment with local MH people for CBT .

Hope the citalopram works for you

Rox

• Posted

Sorry reduced down from 20 to 10 mg

I meant

Take care

• Posted

Thank you Gary. Hopefully I'll see a difference in a couple of weeks.

• Posted

Baby steps remember

Just be kind to yourself

• Posted

I did the five weeks from one ssri to the other searching for a quick fix..I learn the hard way..staying on a consistent dose is key here..thank goodness for me giving celexa many months as in 8months to finally say wow I feel good ..
  • Posted

I'm right there with you. I feel better but not great. Wondering id I should up to 20mg but don't want to. I've been in 10mg in the past and it seemed to work so I'm wondering if I should wait it out a bit longer.

• Posted

I didnt actually notice any difference until 6 months in..

Thats tough to hear for a lot of people. I dont know how severe your anxiety is - I suffer pretty badly (plus OCD).

Its definitely worth the wait, I spent months waiting for something to happen. Feeling awful etc. Just stick with it. Be kind to yourself. Have a support system and rely on them in the tough days.

• Posted

Hi Pia

I'm actually on venflaxine now

I don't know if I've made the right decision changing from citalopram after 5 weeks or so ( coming off venflaxine is supposed to be horrendous ...I've only just goneed on it !

Talk about projecting on to the future !)

But I did have citalopram before and it kind of stopped working.

I've got some counselling in the pipeline

Best wishe's Gary.

• Posted

Hiya. Well I'm battling anxiety and low moo at the moment which I think has been caused by the anxiety. My anxiety got a bit better then worse again after a family tradegy that set me back. I got prescribed beta blockers x3 a day. They have taken the edge off a little bit. 

However at the moment I'm struggling with 'ruminating' and mind chatter. Like my body wants to one thing but my brain is telling me something different. 

Like even though I'm getting on with stuff like housework etc. There's like a fog over me or a voice in my head that's constantly doubting everything I do. 

• Posted

That's called nasty anxiety..it will pass the more you worry the worst it gets.just let it be ...and let the celexa do it's work...everyones recovery is different..8months for me...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.