Help :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey I’m 25yrs old I’m on my 6th day out of knee surgery. I had a tibial tuborosity transfer and mpfl reconstruction and loose cartilage taken out of my knee. The last two days all I have been feeling is anger, emptiness and sadness. I feel hopeless like there’s not much point even getting out of bed I havnt been eating much or really talking to anyone and if I do I end up snapping at them and crying. My surgeon told me that he could not fix the damage to my knee cap aswel so I could possibly have pain going up stairs etc forever sad. Is it normal to feel like this has anyone experienced similar emotions after something like this ? I feel like I am losing myself. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you, so young and in pain. Hopefully you will feel better soon. One thing, I guarantee every person you speak to on here has went through the same emotions. We've all cried, even when we don't know why we're crying!!

• Posted

Hang in there! It is still early days & you are getting yourself depressed. Take it one day at a time! Try & have a positive attitude, it will help with your healing. I had a total knee replacement almost a year ago, and had the same depression as you. It will get a lot better. Your Doctor is speculating that you may have pain using the stairs......you may not...heal your mind and your knee will heal also. Good luck to you, you have your age on your side!

• Posted

Hi, I had TTT at age of 27. I remember those feelings. There were also not hopeful of my longer term progress.  It’s hard to believe it now but they will pass. I had knee replacement 6 weeks ago and those feelings arose. Even though I had been there before it didn’t make it easier. I cried every day for 5 weeks. As Louise says sometimes I didn’t even know why I was crying. It does get easier. I just realised that it’s been a week and I haven’t cried! It’s early days. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Im sorry to hear about your struggles. I have have 2 MPFL reconstructions on both my knees, and now contemplating getting a TTO on my right knee. Even though its all physical, this whole process is very emotional. I completely understand the stairs comment, and now (at least how I think), is that really whatever I do isn't gonna help. However, my doctor said the same thing to me and the only thing you can do is keep your head up, which is just about the hardest thing to do. I have been in your shoes, twice, and now debating going through it again. Just remember that at the end of the day, this was the best decision for you. Yes, you might not be 100% pain free walking up a set of stairs, but apposed to what? Your knee dislocating every time you turn around? Don't doubt yourself, and try doing something different. Just sit outside and drink some coffee, read your favorite book, write it all in a journal. You aren't losing yourself, you are just in a pit of life, soon after some climbing, you will be at a peak. 

Best of luck, 

Kay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.