Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on 60mg of fluextine for 12 months and they seemed to not work now just going on venaflexine and i feel so emotional and can't sleep at night always feeling low ... when will i feel normal again

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Depends I think. To illustrate, I could try to make it a equation type thing..

+ Going off one thing.. there will probably be a ramp down in body/mind reaction to the old drug. That will depend on your body / mind, and how strong the med is.

+ Going on the other depends on body / mind and what the new stuff is going to affect in the body.

+ If you are crossing over, ie not letting one drain out before you take the other, it will mix the reactions depending on what point you start the other ie immediately, half way comming off etc.

I think Vfax takes weeks to a month to have full effect, but I couldn't really notice it doing anything. As per most of the comming off discussions, its when you come off VF that is where you notice how much affect it has on your view of surroundings etc.

Have comfort that at least you and the doc are doing something to fix yourself. I've mentioned before that i personally think that emotion is a chemical thing and some (us) throw out more than others. Sort of the same as some are Lactose Intolerant and others arent. (heh maybe we are emotion-intolerant smile ) Finding the right med that will affect the right chemical at the right strength is pretty fiddly it seems.

Anyway bear with it, and you'll level out soon.

HTH

• Posted

Thanks Froggy wish i could level out now to be honest, i totally destroyed at present and just want to live a normal life.

How i was told to come off 

1 week 60mg

2 week 40mg

3 week 20mg

4 week rest for a week 

5 week onto new drug 

I feel like my head is banging and i cant sleep at all during the night , now on 37.5 mg of Vfax only had 4 tablets so far but omg i feel sh*t 

• Posted

I can only advise you based on my recent experience. I was on fluoxetine 20mgs for 8 years but onlly on 60mgs for 9 months when my Dr decided to change them. I actually went onto mirtazapine, I did reduce fluoxetine on weekly basis but I didn't have a clear week I started on mirtazapine next day. However they didn't suite me so he changed to Venlafaxine straight away. He said he would start me on a low dose but that was 75mgs. I was ok for a week cause I still had mirtazapine in my system, but 2 weeks in I noticed I was deteriorating, not sleeping low mood no appetite, he immediately increased the dose to 150mgs. And that was 4 weeks ago. I was reviewed yesterday by GP and because there was still little improvement in mood and sleep pattern and the fact I broke down in surgey telling him exactly how i would try and end my life I have now been referred to a psychiatrist.

My advice to you is contact your GP and try a higher dose. It does take several weeks to get in the system, but the dose does seem low.

hope you do have some success, I have been told my medication may not be changed at the moment as it is still early days.

• Posted

hi there i can see what happened to me wasnt isolated to me when i started venlafaxine  i found in the early days that i was really.emotional and tearful ! give it a couple of weeks and  if things are not.any better go back to your doctor. and he may.increase the strength.to help ! as i said please go back to your doctors  if things dont improve ! take care david !
    • Posted

it has been 17 years that i took the medicine.just come off in oct.i cant remember about that but i just know there was times they would up my dose even if i didnt think it needed to be.give it a couple weeks then see how your doing since you have two medicines in you system still.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.