Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all,

about 2 weeks ago I suffered high heart rate/ palpitations, pain in my chest and arm , going hot and cold and went lightheaded my partner phoned the ambulance as I'm normally healthy and well, I felt like I was about to die, they first told me I had a anxiety attack iv been to hospital four times now with the same symptoms and they just give me beta blockers and send me home and say all tests are fine, I can't help thinking that something bad will happen to me even though doctors have told me my heart beats normal just really fast, I have to have a heart monitor put on for 24 hours, I just need to talk to someone who is going through the same as me as I feel I'm loosing my mind thinking all sorts in my head, 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I myself suffer from anxiety and have done most of my life and when I was younger I was back and forth hospital having checks and they never found anything rong. My nephew suffered the same a few weeks ago and was taken to hospital but they said all his tests are clear,he is however still suffering the panic attacks. .It only takes one thing to trigger them ..
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty,

I have had exactly the same thing, I feel I'm sort of over the hump of it now and it has started to ease.

In time you will accept that there is nothing wrong with your heart, beta blockers help, I was given Diazepam to take when ever I felt a panic attack coming on which is great as a very short term solution.

You should look at CBT, I was very apprehensive about "therapy" but it is fantastic, just sitting down for the first hour and speaking to a professional who understood everything I was going though.

I know it's hard to believe but it really isn't your heart, I didn't believe my doctor for months, I kept on thinking "he's wrong, he's wrong". I still have my doubts now and again but on the whole it is better, I'm sure it will get better for you as well.

The important thing to do is do something about it now as it can get to a point where it completely takes over your life (I had the worse Christmas ever last year.

Please speak to your doctor about CBT and ask if the beta blockers are the correct type for you (they have fast acting and slow release, I started on fast acting and they didn't work, I went on to slow release and it made a huge difference.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Michael thank you for your reply,

iv iv only been givien the beta blockers in hospital I'm at the doctors Tuesday so I'm going to explain everything to them and see if they can give me anything as it's taking over my life, I just constantly worry about my heart and think something bad will happen to me... It's really scary 

• Posted

Like I said, I've been there. It's really hard to believe that there is nothing wrong with your heart. Google really fuelled the fear as I found myself constantly googling symptoms, I read an article once where somebody had a heart attack but only felt pain between their shoulders, then I found myself thinking about that then all of a sudden I was having pain between my shoulders.

Our brains are complecated things and can be our worse enemies at times.

I don't mean to scare you but until I found what worked for me it just kept on getting worse. Be open with your doctor and let him know how much it is troubling having anxiety and try not to focus on the fact you think it's your heart. Acceptance is the beginning of curing this horrible illness. Talking to people helps a lot as well, don't be scared of telling the people close to you as it will worry you more, once I accepted it wasn't my heart I started worrying about having an episode in front of people, if you tell them what's going on then they will be calmer around you if you have a panic attack.

• Posted

Yeah that's what I do too Google stuff then scare myself with what I read, I keep getting on and off pain in my chest and think it's something bad and then start to panic, I will be open with my doctor as I really want to get sorted it's making me ill, that's why i have come on here to help take my mind off it and talk to people who are going through same as me, 
  • Posted

Also,

Meditation really helps, there are some great Podcasts and Sessions on ITunes available.

• Posted

Please don't forget to mention CBT to your doctor, you don't want to get to the point of taking anti-anxiety tablets if you can help it, beta blockers are fine.
    • Posted

Hey Kristy

I suffer identical and been in and out t Hosp like yoyo.. I've irregular heartbeat anyway but when it takes off and starts pounding as well as other symptoms its sooo frightening. But u do have to try and accept its anxiety once your tests clear I know its very difficult especially during attack coz I always fear the worse its normal but try hard during attack slow breathing glass ice cold water n say to yourself I'll let this pass over and I will be OK nothing bad is going to happen I know its easier said than done but I really believe in it n touchwood I have been riding through them at least twice a WK n especially during the night..best of luck hun you will be finesmile

• Posted

Hey pipps, it is very frightening I keep fearing the worse is going to happen, I will try this, I have been feeling anxious most days and nearly all day think stuff over in my head, thank you 😀
  • Posted

Hi, I'm going through the same thing, my anxiety attack started almost a week ago, and it's taken until today for me to get some sort of control over myself. I feel just how u do, I keep thinking wots happening too me is something more.. But that in its self is the problem, the more we try to reason it out, it makes the anxiety worse. I've found by controlling my breathing and riding the attack out, it does work,changing how we think helps aswell. So hang in there u will be fine, try to focus on something u love and breath,

• Posted

Thank you mark I'm trying to get control over it too, my partner keeps saying there's nothing wrong with your heart it's all in your head but you just think bad stuff so it's nice to speak to people going through the same as me 
    • Posted

Ye my fella says d same " all in ur head " they no idea so yeah get t no others in same boat lol
  • Posted

i get these, i had one in my art class yesterday, like a heart flutter out of sink which scared me to death, my face i felt just glowing red and i felt panicky and wanted to get out, i was so breathlessless it was a struggle to talk, my freind just kept me calm as last thing i wanted was a fuss, it did pass but just so overwhelming.  Stick with it and get some relaxation, is there something triggered these off for you?debi
    • Posted

Yeah I get that feeling too Debi it's awful, I just worry about things and work myself up I try not to but it's hard 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.