HELP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, im a type 1 diabetic and ive been losing weight for no reason, get super hot and super cold regularly. I now think i may have a goiter. My mother has hyperthyroidism. Any thoughts? Im a lil scared...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello JM8988:

My name is shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Diabetes can bother the thyroid gland. It is wise to ask the doctor to test your blood.

You need a T4 -thyroxine level, T3 level -Liothyronine, a TSH (sensor hormone) and Blood glucose level, and a blood cortisol level. 

Your adrenal glands and thyroid work together and since you have Type 1 Diabetes they need to check that on you.  A Goiter is a swelling around the neck and it can feel tight.  The doctor will exam and press on your neck.  Sometimes you may have an Ultrasound to make sure there are no nodules.

Symptoms of HYPO or (under active)  are, weight gain, feeling cold, sleepy, low energy, low temp, low pulse, no periods or infrequent ones, constipation, headaches, depressed feelings.

Hyper (TOO MUCH) hormone, anxiety, jittery, insomnia, losing weight, feels HOT, sweating a lot, panic attacks, heart rate goes high, palpitations, thyroid eye problems.

Some people can swing between Hyper and Hypo. 

So please contact your  GP or doctor that you see and ask for the above blood work.

Any questions, just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Are there are any contraindications for people who have or may have had a thyroid eye?

How is diabetes diagnosed?

Do you know how doctors go about diagnosing diabetes?

Is it difficult to diagnose?

Can diabetes cause panic attacks?

• Posted

I was diagnosed when i was 6. They just pricked my finger and test my blood glucose number. Usually 80-120 is a normal range. Mine was at 600. And i dont remember having any panic attacks... it is not hard to diagnose though
    • Posted

Hello Cindy:

Diabetes is diagnosed by  a blood glucose level and symptoms of being very thirsty, sweating a lot, frequent urination, increased hunger, sleepy feelings and weight gain.

It does not cause panic attacks.

It can be controlled by oral diabetic pills or insulin.  The person must watch their diet.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Cindy:

Diabetes is diagnosed by blood glucose level.  In USA 80 to 120mg is normal.  It is easy to diagnose once blood is done.

It does not cause panic attacks.

Any GP or Endo can diagnose it.

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly

I see.

Do you know what causes panic attacks in thyroid disorders please. Sorry about yet another question. 

• Posted

Have you been to see a doctor about this? Please try not to be scared. A thyroid problem is treatable.

People are very nice and helpful on this forum.

Take care

• Posted

HI JM - I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AS I HAVE AN UNDERACTIVE THYROID AND THE HOT AND COLD FLUSHES ARE HORRIBLE SINCE 20 YEARS EVEN WITH H.R.T. I ALSO HAVE A SMALL TUMOUR WHICH HAS REAPPEARED ON MY THYROID GLAND AFTER 4 YEARS AND HOPEFULLY ON 4 MAY I WILL LEARN WHETHER IT IS BENIGN AS IT WAS THE LAST TIME GOD-WILLING? WE ARE ALL SCARED WHEN IT COMES TO THE RESULTS OF ULTRASOUNDS AND BLOOD TESTS, ONE IS NOT HUMAN UNLESS A LITTLE SCARED AND I AM 74 AND A BORN  WORRIER. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS, ENID X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.