Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a cystocele and rectocele 5 weeks ago with a mesh insertion.

I have ended up with urinary retention and my bladder would try to expel the catheter. I am currently on medication to relax my bladder sphincter.

I currently achieve my best passing of urine by sitting on a bed pan on the floor. I can manage trickles in the normal toilet position but not full wees. I was self catheterising until a few days ago.

I also have attempted sex and my partners penis will not go into my vagina further than 5cm - it's like there is something blocking it

Has anyone else experienced the same or know if these are symptoms of the mesh being too tight?

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annette,

I can only comment on urine flow. I had the same surgery as you. I only had a week of not being able to pee at all. Then around 6 weeks had it happen again. I am now 5 months, and just for my check up. I'm still not emptying my bladder. Had 400cc after peeing 500 cc. She said my sling is to tight, and is going to go back in and make a small cut to loosen it up.

You are still in a beginning of healing process, I would like you have a lot of swelling down below, and 5 weeks might be to early to try. Also if your bladder staying full like mine it could be pressing on other organs. My doctor thinks my kidney may be swollen from not emptying.

I also fiqure out early on when I took things to make me sleep like tynoll Pm it was making me where I couldn't pee. Hope this help, I'm not in medical field oviously, hopefully some that are will apply.

Best of luck to you.

Grace

• Posted

Thank you.

My swelling appears to have gone.

I can empty my bladder but not sat on the toilet.

Re: sex it feels like there is a blockage - it's not painful but definitely can't enter properly or very far.

Sadly I have just googled my dr to find his contact to call him tomorrow. He was recommended by my gp. However I have come across an article in U.K. Where his practise license was ceased by the medical board due to him using the wrong mesh in women. These women were all recalled. I think I need to clarify what mesh he has used and perhaps find a different surgeon for corrective surgery. 😞

• Posted

Only the person who's had the surgery can know if it's too painful to attempt sex. We all vary in the rate we heal so don't see how your doc can know unless he/she has had similar op! My own experience, consultant said I could try at six weeks when I had post op check. He cauterised wound to help healing as it had granulated!? It was so painful we gave up and I waited for next appointment with registrar this time at about ten weeks. He said use lots of lube to ease things as long as necessary. This helped but took awhile before things were normal Can't comment on mesh as it's not been used on me but it does cause problems for some people. Best wishes. rolleyes

• Posted

I'm in the US, the mesh they used on me is called ACell. It's made from pigs bladder. It's suppose to be more tolerably. Hopefully so. My sling that they made for bladder to sit in, she said was to tight.

I'm 51, very active. This is a pain, I hope that loosen sling, puts things back to normal. It's scheduled for 31 of this month. I'll let you know if it works.

• Posted

Your symptoms aren't anything to do with the mesh. You'll still be very swollen following your surgery and 5 weeks is too early to attempt intercourse, in fact you could do more damage. Even at 6 weeks (the recommended time by the majority of urogynaecologists) ladies find it uncomfortable and almost impossible.

• Posted

Thank you.

I'm hoping that's what it is. Going to go for a review and reassurance.

• Posted

I was told not to attempt sex until after the final check up which for me was a couple of weeks ago ie post op 12 weeks. All those major repairs inside you need time to heal. There was no way at 5 weeks I could even entertain the thought of intercourse toooooooo painful ouch. Im still plucking up the courage to have sex and I had my op back at the end of Sept. So sorry to hear that this doctor maybe a problem how are they allowed to operate if struck off, Good luck with getting it sorted xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.