Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Omg. I havent slept in like a week. Horrific depression and bad panic are consuming me. I am wondering if i should start mirt back up. I am kinda scared. No problem point going to my dr. He is unsympathetic and has no idea that i stopped. I am off about 7 weeks now from 15mg. Thoughts? Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi greta, I came off mirtazapine 3 nights ago and I am fine been out driving and no problem with anything. I just went cold turkey. couldn't stand the ugly fat I had put on not going to lose it all just get down to a happy weight. if you are panicking you need to speak to a professional. got to be honest mirtazapine didn't make me sleep during the night but made me sluggish  all day. I am eating now so didn't feel that I needed the drug anymore.my husband wasn't pleased with cold turkey and made me promise him that if I did feel unwell to tell him and straight to the hospital. you take care greta I am only an e mail away regards

• Posted

From a different group that I am in, cold turkey is generally not advised, suggested or recommended. Unless you are not able to get the mirt, ie the doctor refuses or similar.

I would look at some guidance around the safe (gradual) tapering of anti depressants, as withdrawal can be nasty!

Good luck

• Posted

Hey Sand,

I tapered my dose over 2.5 weeks.

• Posted

my doctor is fine with me takingĀ  mirt. it was my decision to come off the tabs. still doing fine without them. still eating so I should be okay.
    • Posted

glad you are ok! I am doing fine without mirt. glad to hear you weaned off. the reason I was put on mirt. is as I have said I wasn't eating at all regards

• Posted

Hi Gretel,

Sorry to hear this.

Just wondered, when you stopped, did you taper? Gradually reducing the dose? Or just stop?

I would suggest going back to your doctor as it sounds like it could be withdrawal symptoms?

Good luck x

• Posted

Hey Shaz,

I researched well and tapered my dose. I feel as though i have "rebound" everything and d/c symptoms mixed in.

• Posted

Hi Gretel

This is a truly horrible drug and I have felt exactly the same way as you are now.  Did you just stop taking mirtazapine at the 15mg dosage and then go cold turkey for the last 7 weeks?  Are you on any other ADs or medication?

I went cold turkey and stopped taking a 15mg dose.  The withdrawals when you do this can last for months.  I thought that after a couple of weeks everything would be fine.  Sadly NOT SO.  The worst issue I had was crippling insomnia just as you describe.  Night after night would go by with either a couple of hours sleep or simply being awake all night.  The key issue is whether you can ride it out or, you may have serious family/work commitments that  make it impossible to carry on like this.  From my own experiences with mirtazapine, and after 6 months mirtazapine free I can tell you that it does get better.  But 6 months is  a long time when you are crawling the walls from a drug that the GPs refuse to admit that there are any repercussions when stopping.  I rode it out and I'm still not quite there yet.  But I did what ever I could to ease the withdrawals.  I took sleeping tablets as and when, went out for a walk everyday, took melatonin and magnesium supplements.  Joined a support group, joined a mindfulness therapy course and insisted on some routine blood tests when I felt that this couldn't carry on.  I now know that there are NO quick fixes when stopping this drug.  Don't beat yourself up either.  If you feel that this is not the right time for you to deal with the horrors of withdrawal, reinstate the dose and wait.  I know some people whom have been tapering off this drug for years. 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I tapered off 15mg over 2.5 weeks. I had been taking 15mg for 4 months for insomnia. I take lithium for a mood stabilizer since i have bipolar disorder. I w/d from benzos back in June. This has hit me like a ton off bricks. I am going to wait a few more days to see if this passes. I am also taking melatonin. I dont want to give up my 7 weeks mirt free. So i guess ill ride it out. Thanks

• Posted

That's exactly what I did but bear in mind that it's a tough road and do what you can to ease the journey.  

• Posted

Point taken. I am getting an arsenal of supplies to make this alittle easier. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.