Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi can someone help me or if anyone has had these symptoms please give me some advice been suffering for a few weeks now but this week has been hell I have a lump sensation in my throat my chest literally burns top of my back is agony my right arm aches I’m constantly dizzy and under my left breast feels tight. I have been diagnosed with Gerd but does this really do all this to your body help .....

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure.  I have a lot of the similiar symptoms and I have been diagnosed with gerd, based on elimination.  I did a modified barium swallow test on Monday seeing the main symptoms has been in my throat, but I can get pains and discomfort anywhere through out my chest and upper abdomen.  I think the stress and anxiety is causing some of it as well.  I have changed my diet and lost some weight and I still can get issues.  I see my doctor next week, my chiropractor thinks I have costcocondritis which seems to make more sense since I have had chronic back and muscular skeletal issues for over a decade.  I wish I had more answers for you.....but I have heard gerd is hard to get rid of, medication doesn't cure it, just eliviates the symptoms. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer 57089 I get some of your  symptoms the constant burning in chest and throat and lump feeling in those sometimes pain in back I don't know the answer to how I can help you eat healthy take your medication and try to relax I need to tell myself this today I went to see my doctor he's sending me back to see my consultant he's doesn't like the way it's there all the time and my weight loss 

• Posted

I also have been dealing with back pain and from what i have read it likely is due to GERD. The nerves that run from that area of the esophagus also affect the back. When those nerves are inflamed you can get residual pain in the back and shoulders. My suggestion would be to try to be ultra strict on your diet and meds for a bit and see if you can heal enough to calm the pain. Wish i had a better answer. Reflux is a major b***h to quality of life.
    • Posted

I’m not on any meds as of yet I’m back in the doctors on Tuesday I just don’t know wether he will be able to help and need to look at what foods to eat etc .....
  • Posted

Hi

Yes all the symptoms you have described are known with GURD. The key is to relax! I know it's hard but anxiety and panicking make the reflux a lot worse. The meds work for 90% of people but you Must make sure your not on them for longer then a month or so or you will find yourself stuck on them for a while. For me, stopping smoking, going to the gym daily and eating a high fibre diet consisting of lean meat with veg/salad will help incredibly! Once you start on the ppi then hopefully the symptoms will get a lot better, thus giving you chance to relax and plan how your going to live with GURD. For most people simple lifestyle changes and regular exercise will solve the problem. But if not the meds will help and if it really impacts you then there are at least 2 types of surgery that I know may be possible in helping you as a last resort.

Hope you find some relief soon!

• Posted

I suffer with similar symtoms, everyday you seem to have various symtoms. Have you been put on any medication and had any tests done?
  • Posted

I have the lump in throat sensation as well as the back pain (particularly when swallowing food) and my doctor said the same. I’m also worried about it being something worse, but apparently GERD and reflux disorders can cause agony like that. If you find out anything different please update 
  • Posted

I suffer all of the symptoms you describe and more. My gastroenterologist informs me they are caused by gerd. I have done a lot of research and the bottom line is doctors prescribe ppi’s such as Omeprezole and/or H2 blockers such as Zantac but western medicine is only a bandaide if you seek a cure you’ll most likely need surgery. Here is what you should do, get a referral to a gastroenterologist from your primary care physician. Make an appointment with the gastroenterologist and talk to him about being tested. The tests that are usually performed are a endoscopy to examine your larynx and esophagus and to take a biopsy of the lining to determine if the lining has undergone any changes. A bravo where he will clip a sensor on your esophagus to determine the extent and severity of your reflux, a barium swallow to determine if your lower esophageal sphincter is working properly or if it is weak and not staying closed and a impedance test where he inserts a catheter through your nose and down your esophagus and leaves it in place for 24 hours, the purpose of that is to determine the pressures in your stomach and esophagus, to measure the frequency of your reflux and to determine if the reflux is acid, bile, or digestive enzymes. The gastroenterologist will most likely start his investigation by performing the endoscopy and if he determines you have reflux he’ll start you on thevppi’s And see how you respond. If they don’t work well for you or if you suffer extreme side effects 

Like I did then he’ll do the bravo study. If all treatments and life style changes don’t give you an acceptable quality of life you can request a referral to see a surgeon who will want to perform the other tests before determining whether your a viable candidate for surgery or not. 

While all that is at is taking place who should raise the head of your bed 6” to 8” as gravity will help to prevent the acid from migrating into your throat, mouth, and lungs. Eat smaller meals, eat them slowly while chewing your food completely. And do not lie down until three to four hours after you eat. Do not eat spicy or deep fried foods. For most people tomatoes in any form, onions, garlic, processed meats, and the like cause most people difficulty because they cause the body to over produce stomach

acid suffer gerd. Try a moderate amount of any of them to see if they cause you problems, don’t try them all at the same time because you won’t know which bothers you and which do not. Doctors also recommend eliminating Coffee, alcohol and carbonated beverages from you diet. The truth is we are all different and what foods and drink I can’t tolerate you may be able to and vise versa so experiment to determine your triggers. That’s the best advice I can offer you, good luck.

• Posted

This is a fantastic reply. Thank you Frank. I’ve been seeing an ENT, but all he’s been able to do is give me omeprazole and say it’ll get better in time. I’m a singer and this condition has started to affect my range which really really frustrates me. I think I will ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist after reading your post.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up