help advise needed shoulder inpingment???

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi around 4 weeks ago i thought i had slept funny my left shoulder and neck was hurting went to work as normal as the day progressed it was getting worse the pain was travelling down my forarm into my wrist, my hand hurting where i was having to stop writing or typing after a couple of mins and rub my hand. the following days it got worse and i could raise my arm or move it from my body. i ended up at the doctors who said i had 2 put it in a sling and gave me tramadol for the pain. i cant take antimflammatories due to stomach problems. i sent me for a xray to see if i had calcified bits in the shoulder but i havent. i have since had a steriod which has eased it a little however still getting pain i cant lift a kettle and my arm feels weak like i have no strength has anyone got any ideas what is wrong? i take a nerve blocker so it cant be nerve related thank you in advance

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

How about you ask for an ultrasound instead this could reveal more than an xray?
  • Posted

I had severe pain in shoulder and arm (muscle) and had a negative exray. Sent to P.T. for six weeks without improvement. Had MRI which showed full thickness tear in roatator cuff with other related issues. Had surgery 9/17, in an immobilizer for 6 weeks, and now P.T. three times a week until March. I have impingement now and I can only raise my arm to my waist. Moral of the story is that I should have insisted on an MRI earlier instead of wasting my time going to P.T. prior to diagnosis! Good luck Coral!
    • Posted

thank you for the info. i did say i wanted a scan and they said to have the injection first. im not medically trained but to me it would make more sense to have a scan first to see what is going on and whether it warrants the injection
  • Posted

I also had an injection first. I have a feeling that the reason they take the conservative approach is because of insurance regulations! I expressed my concerns about wasting my time with six weeks of P.T. prior to my diagnosis. The surgeon said that it was beneficial to "build up" my shoulder prior to surgery.
  • Posted

It sounds like to me more of a neck problem, although I could be wrong.  I had similar symptoms several years ago and the MRI I had on my neck showed a bulging disc that was pinching nerves that sent pain, numbness and tingling into my arm and hand. Only on one side.  Although some shoulder problems can do similar things, maybe you could get an MRI on your neck as well just to make sure.  I have seen so many people have shoulder surgery just to find out later that they had more serious issues with their neck and the surgery did not really help. 
    • Posted

sorry for the late reply i have been poorly. a person at work said a similar thing to me. she said it sounds like it stems from my neck and could be nerve related. if i go to my g.p. and ask for an MRI scan on my neck do you think they will send me for one?
    • Posted

There's no way to tell what your doc may say, but you can stress the numbness and tingling, that may help sway his decision. And some docs actually listen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.