Help advise with medication please

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello I need some help from someone who understand and can advise on medication of carbimazol please. I have recently been diagnosed with graves. Here are my bloods and meds TSH has remained at 0.01

11/4/2014  09//05/  30/5/     11/6/       1/7/      4/7/       

T3   7.1       10.4     8.2         5.4        5.4       5.1

T4 21.9         29.5    26.6      22.31    18         16.1

CARBIMAZOL

20          20        20          15       10           10

On diagnosis I went to a nutrionist and a herbalist am still on supplements and herbs   and have changed my diet, no gluten, dairy, sugar, alcohol,caffeine soy,corn.

I was to originally to be left a month in between reading on the 09/5 and 1/7 but I was ill and blood tested for other things and thyroid checked while they were doing it. As you can see on both occasions my blood levels had dropped . My concern is with my last reading my dr. left me on 10 mgs  even though there was a drop from 18-16 in the week. I am not meant to be having more blood for a fortnight and he wont do it again  I have felt low in myself and my heart is fluttery. My resting pulse is 40-45 and weak  . Dr listened and said it was fine but he said that before diagnosis about my mad palpitations so not reassured What would anyone knowledgeable advise ? I have reduced card myself to 2.5x2  daily as I don't want to go hypo.  I have read I should be aiming for upper normal range but on 10mg for another fortnight i may go hypo which I don't want. I was also wondering about weather block and replace would be better.  I was originally hoping to take as little medication as possible and do titration. I thought my Dr was on board with this but not sure now.  But will do what ever is best. Please advise. 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. You seem to have done very well on your medication plus alternative therapies. What supplements are you taking? I had similar results with normal T3 and T4 after starting on a low dose of methimazole but could not get my TSH up until I started on 1,000 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine. I also took regular L-carnitine 1,000 mg when I started but it became clear that the Acetyl was working better for me in raising my TSH so for a long time I just took that. Now that all my results are in the normal range, I am taking1,000 mg of regular L-Carnitine, 500 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and 2.5 mg of Methimazole (similar to Carbimazole). If my results continue to stay in the same range, I will probably be discontinuing the 2.5 mg at my next check up visit. Apparently hyperthyroid patients lose Carnitine, an amino acid normally found in the body, from their muscles and replacing this seems to help hyperthyroid patients.
    • Posted

Hello Lynda thanks for your reply. I am taking both Acetyl carnitine and l carnitine. Self prescribed after reading about it but only taking 500 mg of each. Perhaps I should increase this? Nutrionist has me on vit d which is low, magnesium, vit b, selenium, something for thyroid and another for adrenal, lots of probiotic, fish oil, something for autoimmune disease, and an iron from dr also low. What do you think of me lowering my dose on my own? I don't like to go against dr but thought he was going to send me hypo. Some reassurance is needed. I was wondering if maybe 2.5 x2 is too much. Should I do 2.5x3? Hard to know. I am new to this and guessing. Just gut tells me dr is not right. 
    • Posted

I always reduced my medication based on my lab results. I decreased by 2.5 mg every time I reduced it. I would definitely increase the Acetyl-L-Carnitine to 1,000 or even 1,500 mg if you want your TSH to rise. At least it did for me. It worked for me when I took it at the same time as my medication. Now that I am in the normal range for everything though, I am taking the Carnitines in the morning and the small dose of methimazole 2.5 mg in the evening. Also, I would not worry about going hypo. You are at lower doses now than when you started so I don't think that would be a problem.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advise. I might go up to 2.5x3 again today and see what my next blood test is. Good luck coming off .

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up