Help and advice on recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ladies, just had my pre op today with op booked for next Thursday 31st.  I am having left ovary removed and just found out this morning once they have had a look they may remove right one too.  They think my cyst is caused my endometriosis and I am getting pain in both ovaries now.  The op is being done as day patient and using key hole surgery, my questions are:

1.  Should I be preparing for the op in any way - taking vitamins or anything?

2.  How bad is post op pain?  What will help ease it, pepperming cordial has been suggested, due to wind, but anything else?

3.  Anyone know how soon can you fly after an op like this?

4. I work for myself from home so don't need to be concerned about work but feasibly how soon will I be able to potter about, take dog for a short walk that kind of thing. I  have had to c sections in the past so assume recovery is similar.

Any ladies who have have same, your advice gratefully received.  xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a vertical laparotomy and was in hospital 4 nights so my experience will be different but I thought I'd share anyway. Definitely use the peppermint cordial!!! I found the most pain I encountered was on day 2-3 due to severe gas. At the time I was basically immobile (couldn't even roll onto my side or move my knees up) so wasn't able to help move the gas in anyway.  Once I was able to move I found the best way to deal with gas was to walk it off. 

Hopefully you will be a lot more mobile than me (I would assume you willbe if it's key hole and only as a day patient) so the best thing is to try and be as mobile as you can without over doing it! The more I walked the better I felt. Day three was my first attempt and I only managed across the room but I slowly built it up and now I'm 2 weeks post op and can do 20 minutes twice a day smile 

i have dogs but won't walk them alone as they pull on their leads and I don't want to damage myself.

• Posted

Hi Kellers, 

No I don't think you need to prepare by taking vitamins.  I'm 3 week post op total abdominal hysterectomy and feeling fine  :-).  They keep you virtually pain free in hospital so I wouldn't worry about that and give you 2 weeks of painkillers to come home with.  It is a bit sore at first and hard to get up into a sitting position but not too bad.  It wouldn't bother me to have the operation again and I was scared stiff lol.  The wind is the worse pain you will probably get so I got some peppermint Rennies and took those into hospital and the nurse made me some peppermint tea.  

I went rent a walk round one of our local villages for about an hour or so the week after my op because my o/h was at home and I felt like a nice walk in the lovely weather.   I was fine, just needed to rest a bit when I got home.  

If you are having key hole surgery then recovery is a lot less time I've heard.  I've no idea about flying though sorry. Xx

Good luck with your operation and let us know how it goes :-) xxxx

• Posted

Hi

with regard to vitamins you need to be careful as years ago when I had my hysterectomy and I said I took some they told me to stop, think it was bit A can do something to blood, any how stopped till after.  I had laparotomy and asked about flying and they said six weeks. Not sure if this due to being post op or risk factors with clots but sure hospital will be able to advise.

had loads of gas pain and took mint tea bags with me although hospital had them

wishing you lots luck and sure it will all go smoothly xx

• Posted

Hey 

First of all congrats on getting your op date through so quick....nothing worse than waiting and worrying more. 

I will also be having my left ovary removed and a 20cm cyst on the 6th of August... I was told I will need six weeks recovery but I've heard it's two weeks for keyhole surgery. 

I wouldn't advise taking any vitamins, they asked me if I was taking any at my preoperative and advised me not to because it can effect your blood etc. 

I've heard six weeks for flying also, but listen to your body because everyone's recovery time is different of course. 

I would say after two weeks you will be fine to move around and do stuff, they advise going for twenty min daily weeks... 

Don't forget vitamin E cream for the scar, works a treat and much better than bio oil, if you can't find the cream you can break open the capsules. 

Best of luck with everything 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.