Help!!!!! any advice please!!!,

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi can anyone help me with some advice pleas! It's late on a Friday night and I have just found this website, I'm so glad that I have! I have broken my tib and fib -(think it's called a bimaellour fracture?) I did it on a pair of high heels at Xmas party, stupid or what??? I climbed up one step and it was gone over, my future for next how ever many months mapped out for me I a nano second!!!! I have the usual metal plate and screws like many of you folk in here. I had my cast off on Monday and went to a physio today who advised me to not use the airboot and "try " to use just the crutches in the house and airboot outside. I a m confused as the consultant at the hospital said keep boot on for two weeks then ditch it AND the crutches. I am really confused, I want to push myself but don't want to do any damage. I am so down, fed up and FRUSTRATED? I have been given exercises from the physio man which he said to do every couple of hours and push through the pain as he said it needs to get moving ASAP. My ankle is so swollen, STIFF and painful. I just don't know what advice is the best? I am 49 WAS fit doing spinning, gym, swimming and lots of classes. Help! 

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pippie

sorry to hear of your accident. First when did this happen?  Typically it's 6 weeks in a splint, then airboot or cast, it depends on the injury how many weeks NWB non weight bearing. Each person is different. I'm 8 weeks post op and just got ok to put my foot down and still in wheelchair as I can't do crutches. I'm 65 so have a few years on you but in good shape and active so I get your frustration. I'm no expert but that's my take on it. I hope this helps a bit. And forgot to say just started my second physio this past week....my foot is very still stiff, not too swollen and moderate pain...

• Posted

Hi Jannie thank u so much for replying! I have just read thru a lot of your previous posts and they are so helpful and supportive, just what I need. My hubby is great but no one else understand just how bad it is when you break an ankle! Anyway , I did it on 5/12 last month, six weeks cast, full weight bearing and airboot with crutches. The cast came off on Monday, I just don't know which advice to take the consultant at the hospital or the physio I saw today. Im just so so worried I'll never walk properly ever again due to my stupid ego wearing HIGH heels!!!!! I feel really low today. Before this happened I thought I was mentally strong but this really is challenging my mental state of mind. I am panicking I think. 

It's great you are making progress, but it seems to me all the posts I've read everyone says the same thing it's a slow slow process of healing, there is no quick fix.

• Posted

Hi Pippe. Don't despair, I was at an all time low   At 6 weeks, I bucked up as best I could and overall I've had more good days than bad ones. I did find though not told By doctors there is post surgery depression usually at 6 weeks. I'm usually mentally strong too but this has challenged me beyond belief. My husband is so supportive and gets where I'm at but very few others get it.  I get what you say about walking, I'm grateful my toes have started moving and I know for me it's probably slower than most or at least in my mind it is. I'm gearing up to be weight bearing, if you feel unsure you should do what is right for you and tell your PT and Dr this if that feels comfortable. Keep on and take it easy on yourself. Book a massage that helped me......enjoy your nite, it's movie time here.....j
    • Posted

Oh thank you Jannie for your advice!!!!! Your hubby sounds like mine.... Thank goodness we have good ones!!!! I will try to mentally relax and not get so frustrated! Yep a massage sounds like a good idea. Good luck with your weight bearing. Enjoy your movie, it's 1:39 in the morning here in London, I can't sleep, my hubby is snoring away though! Night night happy healing

x

• Posted

Hello Pippie. I just found this forum almost two weeks out of my surgery. Everyone is so supportive and that's what we need. I'm

Now 16 days post the ankle from hell life. I was not in any way prepared ffor the after surgery repercussions. I too am so down and the depression I'm trying to keep at bay but it's not easy. Got my cast off this last Eednesday and am in a boot. My most frustrating part thus far is the burning pain in my whole got about every 9-10 hours. It's a horrible wake up cell in the middle of the night. I know it's going to be a long haul

And patience is your best friend but I've never met Ms patience and it's hard to meet her. I've read where he burning is a disturbed nerve and it could be permanent. To say the least they scared me to death that I might fall into that category. I don't start therapy until I see me Dr in 4 weeks. Can't believe they would want you to start therapy already. This place is a God send. Let's all TRY to learn patience and time. It's hard I tell ya. Hoping you find some relief and kindred hearts on this site

• Posted

It's 6:20 pm in BC Canada so it's early, enjoy your nite and yes 'we got good ones'........sleep well......
    • Posted

Morning Jane thank you for your post, you sound like me, no,patience at all and really down... It's a nightmare!!!!! I have just a long post below so you can see my moans and groans!!!!

its hell as you say no one really truly understands!!!! But this forum will help us all to "let it all out" 

I am attempting to get to the swimming pool today one airboot and crutches???? I have to get off my backside I can't stand it anymore.... Wish me luck😡

• Posted

Morning Jane how are you doing today how's the pain? Any better???

ive been in the swimming pool trying to loosen up the ankle, it's so tight and stiff ahhhhhhhh ! 🇬🇧

Are you a it more positive or still down , I have good days and bad days ☀️💦⚡️

• Posted

At 10 weeks following 2 surgeries for trimallelor fracture I came out of plaster, no air boot just crutches.

It was difficult , painful and frustrating. I followed therapy advice.

I went to the swimming baths daily for 6 weeks and exercised in the water. This helped me to progress, strengthened my ankle and gave me confidence so my advice is keep it moving, the stiffness will get better and the swelling will come down.

I'm 10 months post fracture and can now wear heels (small ones) can't run yet but can see that the recovery has taken time, hard work and determination

Good luck and take care- you will improve

Jane

• Posted

Morning Jane🌞 Thank you sooooo much for your reply, great advice , I just need it right now. I'm off to the pool later in my airboot and crutches , I can't wait! I'm desperate to DO SOMETHING!!!!!

thank you x

• Posted

Let me know how you get on- go with someone your first time

The staff at the pool I went to were brill. I kept my shoes on when I walked to pool side (with the covers) and they put a chair by the side of the pool as the benches were a bit low

Started in little pool and they helped me in and out. there were steps and I used my crutches. If you struggle ask them to use the chair hoist

Enjoy

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane just been to pool omg it was great to be in there!!!! Took off my boot ditched the crutches and swam off into the lanes , foot moved a bit doing front crawl not much but enough for a start, did a few stretches best I could. Getting out was a challenge, my hubby managed to haul me up and I hobbled on my crutches good job he was there as the life guards just looked on! , I felt a right numptie but soooooo glad to do something. I'm taking your advice and going back tomorrow thank u so much 🌺🌺🌺
    • Posted

Well done

The basic exercises I did was

Walking forwards, backwards and sideways

Holding on to the side and going up on to my toes (start in deeper water and as you progress get shallower) then when your a bit stronger doing single legs

Have a look at Aqua jigging on line, you can buy the belts quite cheaply and I found this really good for movement

I also stood with my toes touching the pool wall and tried to get my knee to touch the wall, thus took about 4 weeks before I could do it. Along with the usual circling if the ankle.

• Posted

As you get stronger progress your exercises

Keep going and keep me informed jane x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.