HELP - Citalopram withdrawal causing relationship breakdown - HELP

Posted , 5 users are following.

My girlfriend and I met 5 months ago and everything clicked so quickly. We found so much in common with dates and loved each other company. So much so that we even felt comfortable enough to book an big holiday together after just 4 months. We hadn't even argued or found anything about each other annoying despite spending loads of time together.

She then explained to me how she had had anxiety due to work since and had been prescribed citalopram, taking it daily for 6 years since. She had also been through a terrible previous relationship recently. But now she felt so happy for the first time in ages with me that she wanted to come off the tablets.

Since she has come off them she is often not herself at all. It's been a month or two, probably a month fully off them, and she has anxiety all the time. She has major doubts about our relationship every few weeks, then everything is fine again, except she is miserable about her life in general and very anxious.

I want to stick by her as I feel she will come out of he other side of this but don't know who to ask.

How long will this last?

What can I do to help?

Will it work out, has anyone had a similar experience with a partner?

I feel helpless and really want everything back to normal asap. I've tried all natural rememd

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for your amazing advice so far.

She has now been prescribed to get back on medication for a bit, but a different one - Sertraline

I hate the idea of this and suggested trying more natural remedies first, but she is going through phases that she feels really depressed so it might be that she came off them too quickly.

Anyone have any experience with these tablets?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.