Help diagnosing knee pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good morning. I've had a problem with my left knee for about 2 years now. I was a keen runner and it's got to the point where if I run I can hardly walk on it the following day. But when I don't run. And I'm fully rested. If I'm seated and keep my knee in a 90 degree position for over 10 minutes I get a really uncomfortable pain and the longer I leave it like that. The more the pain gets worse. But as soon as I straighten my leg out it's an instant sense of relief. I've had an x-ray that's shown nothing. I've been having physio for over a year which hasn't helped. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Mick

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

What did the physio say it was? And GP?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have you had a MRI? It's really the only way to properly diagnose. X-rays only show so much. Sounds like maybe a meniscal tear?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm sorry but I'm in the States and may not understand the health insurance situation where you are. Who is saying it's too expensive? It would seem that if you are in that much pain and need a proper diagnosis than no diagnostic should be too expensive.

Are you able to pay for it yourself?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry. The doctors have said it's too expensive. They only get allocated so many to use per year for certain patients so they have to choose a select amount and not go over budget. So I think I'm going to have to find a way of getting myself booked in privately.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

X-rays and MRIs can frequently be inconclusive.  I had it done FOUR times (two each knee).  Docs had to scope me all four times.  Found two torn menisci and two ripped femoral condyles (both on each side) over the span of three years...but I had been playing hockey for 45 years.  Sometimes, they just gotta go in and see the problem for themselves.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up