Help disabled people to fight boredom

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best group for my question, please let me know if there is better one, anyway it is related to depression.

When somebody is seriosly disabled and has very limited means of communication with outer world (or none at all), how this person can be entertained? I wonder if there are some mind games for such situations.

For example, there is a story by Stefan Zweig called Chess Story, about a man being thrown into prison who learned how to play chess and played chess within his own mind for years to resist boredom of solitary confinement.

Thanks!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am a Reactive Depressive caused by a disability and a Conjenital Short Term Memory conditions

My life is very full, if not slower than an able bodied person. I have my own Orchard that consists of thirty trees and soft fruits, we have 20 varieties.

We are Life Members of National Trust and English Heritage, also we take out Historic Houses and visit them as well, we also have a caravan and go on holiday ten weeks or so a year.

I also take our Dog, Pax out for walks, I am restricted with that and I also have a good sized reference library. In other words I may forget what I have done I always have plenty things to keep me busy.

We are about to take the first paper on skippering a Power boat soon. So I have plenty things to keep me busy, even when I forget certain things more often than not.

Disability, Physical, or, Mental does not need to be a problem. We get on with our lives and make as much use of the time we have left.

You just need to look at the Olympic Games, many are not sitting in a corner somewhere drooling, We do what we can.

What are your interests ??

• Posted

I am that person mostly confined indoors because I rely on oxygen therapy OK I have 2 small bottles of the stuff to help me get out and about but there is always a 24-hour gap when I need new ambulatory ones refilled (sorry I meant 3) most of the time it is computer or sky.
  • Posted

Oh dear missed that one out the reason I am confined indoors is that I rely on a oxygen concentrator

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your opinions guys. I understand that even a person with limited (relative to average level) abilities can do a lot of fulfilling things.

I am rather interested in what a person that has no freedom whatsoever (locked in a solitary confinement or in confinement of own body, whithout ability to communicate with outside world) can do to have fun?

The person from a book I mentioned started playing a game of chess inside his mind, I wolder if there are other, maybe better ways to give mind some work while being cut off from outside world?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.