Help heartburn

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had gallbladder out 3 months ago and suffering daily with awful heartburn. Advice please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had horrendous heartburn after surgery it crippled me I was in tears I think the tube they put down you agrivates your inside I cut out coffee fizzy pop and my doctor gave me omozrapol marvellous so go get some!
  • Posted

I was prescribed Omeprazole which aids digestion. I avoid large and fatty meals as they make me feel bloated.

Maybe there's something else going on like a hiatus hernia or ulcer. You could ask GP to refer you to a gastroenterologist.

• Posted

Oh nooo... I've had mines out almost two weeks. I have been having mild heartburn too. Hmmm, I am going to let my dr know when I have my follow up.

Oh have you been eating foods high in fat or spicy foods; that may be a contributing factor.

• Posted

Hi,

Not really changed my first tbh so should make more of an effort! I didn't have it for the first 8 weeks then it started and hasn't gone away. Everything else has been great, no pain etc just reflux...got a bit obsessed its bile 😢

• Posted

I would say just be really careful what you eat and drink.  Stick to a GERD diet and cut out coffee, sodas, and anything overly acidic.  For example, I can't eat anything containing cooked tomatoes, like pizza and pasta sauce, without having bad heartburn/reflux (raw tomatoes are fine).  Eat smaller meals, and don't eat anything at all 2-3 hours before bed.  I was on omeprazole for about a month, but my GI doctor took me off because it was giving me horrible abdominal pains (apparently not terribly uncommon with that particular medication) and told me to take Pepcid as needed instead.  But as long as I avoid those trigger foods, I really don't need the Pepcid.  

Also, make sure you're avoiding fatty, greasy foods.  Cheeseburgers, pizza, fried fish, etc. are things that I will eat on occasion but always pay for it afterwards with diarrhea and painful cramping!  However, I'm 7 years out from having had my gallbladder removed.  I couldn't eat any of those things at all without horrible pain for at least a year after I had mine out, so if I were you I would just avoid them altogether for awhile and then just very small portions if you really feel like you want to treat yourself every so often.  

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. It makes complete sense and sounds sensible to me! I've started keeping a list of 'trigger foods' so will definitely avoid some of the things you mention. I'm a teacher and have just returned from a residential visit with my kids. I ate a fried breakfast and it definitely wasn't too good on the digestive system! Lesson learnt!

Thanks

Charlotte

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

As I understand it, even with the gallbladder removed, the liver continues to make bile, but has no where to store bile. Consequently if you eat fatty foods, there isn't enough bile to aid digestion.

I avoid too much fat in one go. I can eat one poached egg, but not two and wouldn't attempt Indian takeaway or fish and chips. I treat pizza with great caution, choosing a lighter version from the menu. It is just a question of not overloading the digestive system. Hence I also tend to eat lighter meals and can eat most things in moderation. Pineapple in any form upsets me and I used to love fresh pineapple.

The doctors tell you, you don't need a gallbladder and can eat normally after cholecystectomy, but that's not strictly true. If you try to eat curries, pizzas and fish and chips, you run the risk of severe diarrhoea and other digestive issues. I was prescribed Omeprazole, but I've stopped taking it, as I don't feel I need it now: just have to watch what I eat more than I used to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.