HELP HELP back to work ?????????

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went back to work on Mother's Day i wait tables, since i have worked Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. 2 days i worked in the kitchen .one 5.5 hours the other 2shifts 4.5 hours whe I get home my legs are swollen twice their size should I be worried or is this the norm I am in a fair amount of pain . I am icing like crazy and elevating.

0 likes, 24 replies

Report / Delete

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tana,  I suspect this is the longest amount of time on your feet straight sinc operation.  Yes, the swelling is normal.  I worked 5 1/2 house on my feet yesterday and I am swollen and sore today too.  I am almost 14 weeks po.  Swelling defiently will work its way down you legs too. Elevate and ice..rest.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Maybe just too much too soon..my leg swelled after last op for quite few weeks .rest elevation n ice did the trick..this was before the TKR loosened n failed!! X
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Aw what a shame it is hard! Im back at work in 2 wks! I want to get back as a sign im getting back to my normal life after this difficult journey but i am worried how hard it wil be and how my leg wil be! I think my fitness level is zero!

Bless you just rest when you can and keep popping the painkillers it wil get easier! Thats easy for me to say im not there quite yet! All the best!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Debbie

Thanks I was just worried about the swelling I had both knees done at the same time the 27 of January My doctor said your knees are healed you can do anything , but he forget to mention it would swell so much. I just want to make sure I didn't mess myself up. God knows I don't ever want to have to deal with mess again. I just found out a Epsom salt bath will help with the pain and the swelling. So I know what I doing tonight smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi to you, after reading your email I strongly recommend you go back to your surgeon or your GP .

Guess you should have had a staggered return to work as they say this operation can take up to a year to come good. Take it easy if you can.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Agree - this is just normal - if it builds up and is worse at night you need anti-inflammatory cream or tablets. You need to keep drinking lots of water as well - it redices swelling. Try some cold pads that stick to you they soothe it when you are at work or nip into the loo and give it a quick massage with bio oil. It will get better hopefuly but its so depressing when you get home and look down to see how its like a football! As long as it eases when you elevate and ice it's unlikley to be major. But if in doubt - get checked out! Even just for reassurance you could call your GP or consultant and ask for a view.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi tana, so now it's your turn to go bk to work, remember l went bk doing 3x10 her shifts straight  my legs did ache and l was shattered l was 12 p/0 my legs still ache all you can do is elevate ice and if necessary take  pain relief. I had to go bk the way l did it because l was on SSP and needed to be earning again properly, you will be ok it just this surgery takes do long to heal so unless you can take a yr off you will have to go with it. Please don't despair it will get better l am now 17 wks p/0 l still have soreness l am now working about 35 hrs a day by the time l get home,legs are a bit swollen  but  has been made worse by the fact that l fell last week quite badly thank goodness no damage but a lot of swelling and bruising, l still went to work because l had to. Please take care stretch ,elevate and ice be careful you don't slip keep posting x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Bling

Thank for the encouragement I know it's gonna hurt and swell . I took a bath in Epsom salt this morning it was great , I was scared because I read on here someone had to have her husband and her sister get her out but i did fine so I will be investing in Epsom salt.smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi tana, l had to answer this comment about, look back on the discussions and you will find my comments on having a bath if anything you will have a laugh, unlike you l could not get out  l won't say anymore read my discussion, and l think you are one hell of a brave lady to have 2 knees done together you deserve a medal x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Funny you and Tana, would discuss this.  I know you and I did...because I got stuck in the lawn recliner.  I had my first soak in the tub this week.  I listened to you bling bling, I practiced getting in and out prior to undressing and running any water.  Still had hubby on stand by...just in case.  I put a no skid plastic mat in bottom of tub...it was wonderful!!  
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the smiles! I'm 1 and 3/4 years po and I still struggle with getting out of the bath. Mine was also a bilateral and oh my...so glad no one sees me when I'm struggling to get out. eeklol
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm nearly 2 years post op on a bilateral TKR and while the left knee is great, the right one still causes swelling. When I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he did x-rays, he said the knee looked great, but my right knee cap wasn't in great shape. This is what causes the swelling when I walk too much. frown To put it lightly, I wasn't excited, especially since my original surgeon told me the knee cap was replaced. What can I do, the surgery was in India and I no longer live there. Inevitably, I will need that replaced. This wasn't what I signed up for, but it is what it is. Why do I say all this? Because swelling happens for all sorts of reasons. Walking too much too soon is definitely going to agitate it. I iced for at least a year after surgery. And elevated my feet.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Moandrieu

I am so sorry about your knee cap I have heard stories about bad replacements and having to have revision surgery I swear I don't know what I would do if it happens to me . That's why I had both knees done same time because I knew I would never have the second one done . Because I am a big old egg laying ,peck the ground, feed eating CHICKEN smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Exactly the reason I did the bilateral too! This surgeon said they are starting to put in new knee caps when they replace the knees (duh, that just makes sense). He said otherwise, normally 10 years after the knee goes in they have to open you up and do it. What? And your knees generally last 15 years? So in another 5 you replace the knees again. I just shake my head. Of course I wanted to cry and sue someone, but I'm pretty sure that would cost more than I have and would be fighting a he says, she says battle that wouldn't necessarily turn in my favor. I had to just let it go and now I'm going to trust God in it all.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up