HELP HELP back to work ?????????

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went back to work on Mother's Day i wait tables, since i have worked Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. 2 days i worked in the kitchen .one 5.5 hours the other 2shifts 4.5 hours whe I get home my legs are swollen twice their size should I be worried or is this the norm I am in a fair amount of pain . I am icing like crazy and elevating.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tana,  just be sure to listen to your body.  I am sure you know the pain comes with the swelling, as well as using the new knees.  I am sure you are also using muscles you have not used up till now.  

I knew when I went back, I was going to swell, hurt and be very tired.  I only had one knee done.  Be sure to rest, ice, and elevate whe you get home.  I remember you saying you liked heat better....but the ice will help with the swelling.... 20 minutes at a time.

then if your swelling does not get better....go see doc.  Listen to your body...us I said it twice now...you know how you feel....and what the pain is like.

good luck....be sure to let us know how it goes.

😀 Pam

• Posted

Pam

I like you have to work so I guess I will suck it up .I did find soaking in an Epsom bath helped alot . All you can do is what you can do press on be strong .smile

• Posted

I went a little mad yesterday, cleaning my house which has been driving me mad, dusted cleaned bathrooms, tidied etc and I am paying for it today...so stiff and tired even after doing static bike and physio. I am icing and elevating today. I too am due back at work in a few weeks (8 weeks post op) and am not looking forward to being on my feet 8 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week.

Hope you get some relief and feel a bit better x

• Posted

Sue

You are a warrior I feel like a wussy complaining about four or five hours.I will tell you Epsom salt baths and Arnica gel are my new best friends. They both relieve swelling and pain.

• Posted

I went back probably to soon and I am also on my feet all day. I ytried to take breaks and get legs up and iced the knees. But on some days I still have swelling at the end of the day. Ice and elevate.
    • Posted

Hey Tashia

It's a shame that we have to go back to work but Like I said guess its time to just suck it up and do the best we can. I just glad its a small restuarant. smile

• Posted

It's 2.15am !! Bad night  RTKR OH BOY NOT SURE IF I WOULD DO THIS  AGAIN. Like every body says over do it and you pay .Swelling and pain I'm 4 weeks Tuesday post op I almost seem to be going backwards .

ice is my best friend and Arinica amazing stuff .I have found the forum very informative as its good to,read other people are expercining similar problems in for a long haul I guess.!! Chris 

• Posted

Chris,  I felt the same way at 4 weeks.  Why did I do this...OMG am I crazy.  If you feel you are going backwards, then you have probably overdone for sure.  I did it several times 1 St time right around where you are too.  Just take a day to rest extra, elevate extra, ice extra, but be sure to do your normal exercises.  Think about what you did out of the norm and use it to learn.....cut back on that.  You can learn from your pain and it can become a friend....sounds weird, but it tells you a lot if you let it.  Am I doing too much, am I doing some exercise wrong, am I taking my meds as prescribed.  

CHris, it does get better.  Promise.  I am now almost 14 weeks po....I sleep well at night, unless I overdo.  I do still semi wake a couple of times during the night .....I lay there and let the pain or discomfort wash over my body...it takes a bit....do not turn on the light...or get on computer...then I think ok why do I hurt or feel uncomfortable.....what do I need to move....then I reposition and fall back to sleep easily.  Sueisobol, on here is where I learned this trick.  It really works....you wake in pain...do not move right away....let it wash over your body.  

Hope me this is helpful.  Keep posting.  Speedy recovery.

pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.