HELP I am worried I have herpes or warts or something worse!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I noticed unusual growths between my anus and vagina at the end of january & made an appointment for tomorrow at the GUM as I thought it might be warts. I never took a picture at the time and must admit I never looked since. I looked today and took a picture and I am so worried. Can anyone help me as to what they think this might be! I have seen no pictures which look like this before I am freaking out big time.

I havent had sex with anyone since October 2017 but I only noticed the growths in January, they have now gotten very red, they aren't overly painful but can be a little itchy. I find my discharge smells different and I am often more damp down there (I notice on my pants)

PLEASE HELP I am so worried to go tomorrow I have put it off so long. I am disgusted

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Please help me I am so worried I am only 19 and I have only slept with 7 people in my life, I just want to be put out my misery. I have looked up every type of STD and cannot find any pictures which look like how mine looks
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Firstly, take a deep breath and relax.  This isn't as bad as it probably seems right now, and life will go on.

At the risk of worrying you unnecessarily though, I think those might be herpes or warts.  It doesn't look like a regular case of either though, so it could potentially be both or it could be something else entirely, and maybe not an STI at all.

The good news is that you already have an appointment at a GUM clinic, though I'd have suggested you get there sooner, if you'd posted earlier.  I know it probably feels awful that you have to get checked out, especially if you're only 19, but it may not be an STI, and even if it is, they're a lot more common than most people realise.  STIs are one of those things that people usually don't talk about though.  You'd be unlucky at that age to pick up an STI if you've only had seven partners, but it can and does happen.  (I know someone who was a virgin till over the age of 30, and who got chlamydia the very first time she had sex, and I know someone else over 40 who has unprotected sex with someone new almost every weekend, and has never had an STI, and thinks she's immune rather than just incredibly lucky).

Most STIs are easily treatable these days, and if it's warts, they'll probably be a bad memory in a few weeks.  If you had the HPV vaccine before the first time you had sex btw, then it's unlikely to be though (the vaccine is targeted at different strains of the same virus, but seems to work for the warts strains too).

Please let us know what they say at the GUM clinic, and if it is an STI, there is lots of support available.  Good luck.

I'm going to repeat what I said at the start - take a deep breath and relax.  This isn't as bad as it probably seems right now, and life will go on.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not sure. Get it cheecked out.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

What did they say at the GUM clinic?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

They said it was definetely not herpes & just a standard case of genital warts. Gave me cryotherapy & some cream incase the freezing doesn't clear them. They said it should clear my body on its own.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the update, and that's great news, as warts are a much smaller problem than herpes.  They don't always clear up straight away, and they sometimes come back, so you may need to go back to the clinic, but there's a good chance that they'll just be a bad memory in a month or two, and they'll almost certainly be gone for good in six months.  I was fairly sure you had warts, but I thought you might have herpes as well, and that would have been a lot worse.

Genital warts are a lot more common than most people realise.  I just found this on Medscape:

United States

"Annual incidence is 1%, and genital warts are considered the most common sexually transmitted disease (STD). A four-fold or more increase in prevalence has been reported in the last two decades; prevalence reportedly exceeds 50%. The lifetime risk of infection is 50% in sexually active individuals."

These links may be useful, though the second article is written for doctors:

https://patient.info/health/sexually-transmitted-infections-leaflet/anogenital-warts

https://patient.info/doctor/anogenital-warts-pro

and there's a genital warts forum here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/genital-herpes-simplex-979

You've been unlucky to pick up something so soon, but at the risk of sounding preachy, use condoms with anyone until you know they've been tested.  I know someone with herpes, and she's been dealing with it for over 20 years.  There may be a cure in the next ten years, but there isn't one now.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up