Help! I Have A Problem

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was cathetered from Friday the18th of March to the 11th of Apriil when they removed it.  The only time it was out was for an hour or two when I underwent the green light laser treatment. on April 7. The reason for the long catherization was because I went into 100% retention on the 18th of March.

At first I urinated good,  gradually I would go, then stop and I would find  that I had to "pump" the remaining urine.  Next, I had to bear down and pump from start to finish.

Now, today I can't go at all.   I can't even force start so it looks like to ER for me this night.

I don't know what's happening.

(At this point i was in the bathroom for 10 minutes as I had the urge to go.  I did go somewhat but it was like birthing a babywink

I was tested yesterday...no infection.

I have no infection and the op was a success.  I can't figure this out.  Will see doctor on Monday.

Tom  

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You will be swollen from the surgery so I don't understand why they didn't leave the catheter in for a while. This isn't unusual. Hang in there it will get better.
    • Posted

Thank you Craig for your words of ebcouragement.  But I have to make a decision now, tonight.  wether to go to ER for catherization.

PS: Did anything like this happen to you?

Tom

• Posted

Close, but no. I nearly had to go to the ER because of Prostatitis causing me to have trouble urinating. I am almost 100 percent better now. Go figure. That is what you have to do though is go to the ER. As I said I can't understand why your doctor didn't cath. You before you left. To late now, but I would be asking why when I went in for a follow up.
  • Posted

It is not good to not be able to pass urine.

it can cause problems with the bladder and the kidneys. 

You should call your doctor.

going to the emergency room , or to an urgent care center and

getting them to use a catheter to relieve the pressure is what I would do,

if your doctor is not available.

It is not painful.

• Posted

Getting a foley catheter run uo your front is always such a treat.  I almost forgot. how it feels.
    • Posted

Tom,

I have had catheters inserted by nurses etc a few times , and it can be traumatic. 

The Foley catheter is an effective and  temporary approach to ensure you can empty your bladder. Your doctor will determine why you could not urinate, and take it from there.

Hopefully when you see your doctor, and the Foley cath is removed, you 

​will find that the temporary blockage is gone, and you can forget about catheters, and enjoy the benefit of your operation.

I want to mention that there is another type of catheter, called an intermittent catheter, which you insert yourself when you need to  urinate. There are many types, and one feature some have is a curved tip which makes insertion easier for some. (called Coude or Tiernmann tip) 

Coloplast makes a "Speedicath," which is hydrophilic (has a super slippery coating on it). I use it 4 to 6 time a day and it is about as  traumatic as brushing my teeth.  So if you need to  continue using a catheter for a little while (hopefully not) , that may be something to look at.

This sounds like I am working for Coloplast ;-)  ..Speedicath is just what I found to be the least burdensome product. There are many other intermittent catheter options out there. 

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I am delighted to learn of someone else who finds catheterization to "be a treat"! I'm in the same league and enjoy the practice immensely. I have been wondering how I might start an appropriate group here. I am sure there are many more "practitioners" out there who would welcome the opportunity to share experiences. However,  I would most certainly not wish to jeopardize this site in any way.

Perhaps one of our trustworthy Monitors could study what we have said here and come back with an opinion or guidance.

In closing, I don't think you are likely to forget the gorgeous experience of cathing yourself. I started over 70 years ago and I certainly have not forgotten.

Rgards,

alan.

• Posted

alan,

there are 2 discussions that i have discovered on patient in the  Prostate Problems group that deal with Self catherization..one is called:   Intermittant Cath (is it relatively safe?)​ the other is called Self Catherization. An alternative to Turp, Greenlight, HoLEP...?  

JimJames started this last one about a year ago. .If you post to him he will be able to orient you . I just discovered this resource yesterday. .I have been doing CIC for about 3 years. .

I'm interested to meet someone who has been doing this for 70 years, as I am wondering about trying a recently developped procedure called prostate artery Embolization, (although I am quite pleased with CIC. )

Michael

• Posted

I hate to see you going through this but maybe it was not your prostate and it was your bladder.  They should have waited to do the surgery until you got the use of your bladder back.  So you had them burn out your prostate for nothing.  I hope you get better..Kenm 
    • Posted

Ken,   people get scared when they have trouble down in that area. They don't know what to do so they rely on what the doctor tells them. Sometimes they do what seems best for them. God knows we don't know what is happening to us so we listen to the professionals, You were lucky, you made an informed decision. You know me and what I went through. Please have a little more consideration for those of us who went through this type of precedure. Lord knows if we could turn the clock back - we would. Why do men have to go through this anyway?
    • Posted

Steven I do know your problem and it alot more then what tom is going through.  We don't know what test he had and he need to see another doctor and get more information on what ever is happening to him.  He needs more information.  We should never have the first treatment that a doctor is offering  To many men are doing the first thing that the doctor is saying and then if it don't work what do you do.  Also a doctor needs to tell them all the side effects that will happen and then is if they can deal with it ......Information is the key...  Ken  
    • Posted

I  know, Ken-- but some men do. That's the sad part, my friend. Lets keep the diolugue going. It's good that men talk to one another.
    • Posted

This is to all men that are having a problems.  If you have read some of my post you know I am not a fan of the turp or any laser procedure that cores out the prostate or destorys the bladder neck.  No man should have to give up his ejaculation just to pee.  I don't care how old you are.  When you see a urologist you need to get all the information you can before you have anything done.  It is good to trust your doctor but if he does not tell you  all of what is going to happen to you or he tell you everything will be the same.  It's no problem.  Some side effect are a problem for some men.  There are so many new procedure out there now that we should not be force into a procedure that will cause us more pain and problems then we need.  Some procedures that are offered are the only ones the doctors know and will not talk about anything new.  Please go on the internet and look it up for your self and get all the information and if you don't understand it talk with you doctor and if he does not want to .  It's time for a new doctor.  Also do not rush into anything.  I have a friend that was rushed into a turp and he most likely didn't need it.   He has prostatitis.  He has had it for many year .  Now he is going through hell.  Also when you do have a surgery make sure you sign for only what you agreed to.  You know when you sign the papers in the hospital and you are put to sleep the doctor can do anything he whats.  There have been many surgerys that have been done that the patients did not want.  They ask for one thing and get something else and once things are cut out there no going back.  Please think before anything is done.  Take care and good health  Ken       
    • Posted

Steve I don't think  you were rush because of the problems you were having and you did have a few but the surgery was done to quick and the doctor may have rushed..  You told be that he called one day and it was done the next.  You should have had more time and you may have been diagnosis with prostatitis then and you would not be having as many problem.  But it is done and over.  You just have to go forward and forget what happen in 2009.  I hope you will get better and have some relief  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Thanks Ken-- I wrestle with this every day! I do have suicidal thoughts and wonder if life can be lived from here on out. No man that hasn't had these procedures realize what having this retrograde ejaculation does to a mans mind in the matter of how he perceives himself to be a man. I pray that GOD gives me strength every day. I think that having prostatitis pushed me into having the TURP done, but as you said there were already bladder stones there and a bladder that was half full of stail urine.I'm having trouble now with how to move forward, it's tough because the prostatitis is still there and 6 years of this is more than any man can stand. Please be patient for any man who has had these procedures done. We read these posts and would like for any person who has not had this done to consider that we have feelings as well as you all do and also have our emotions and feelings as well as the next man out there who can (thank GOD ) experience a normal orgasm.  .
    • Posted

Hi Steven

Very sorry to hear about what you are going through, I also wear a catheter now for the past 6 weeks and decided to go for HOLEP operation waiting for my date in May. I experimented retrograded ejaculaiton about 6 years ago when I had a blocage and had to wear a catheter for about 5 days then they gave me pills (flowmax generic) and was able to urinate but I had the retrograded ejaculation for a while because flowmax gives you that condition and I understand that it's not very pleasant, I also heard that some men find that ejaculating with a full bladder helps semen exit through the penis, as a full bladder helps keep the opening closed. It’s possible to have partial retrograde ejaculation, in which some semen flows into the bladder and some leaves the body through the penis. Give it a try and keep the faith, be thankful that you are alive, I know it's hell and I live it for the past 2 months now waiting for uncertain times afterwards but just think of children in whellchairs not being able to walk or play  and plugged on machines to keep them alive, we must be strong and contantly be grateful for what we have, life is a test to grow, prayers help too

Thanks

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.